Shelf use life on a gallon of paint.?

We bought a can of Kilz primer and a can of Glidden Premium interior paint. We plan to proceed with another can of Kilz. If the Glidden becomes 1+ years old what are the consequences other than taking it back to Home Depot and getting them to shake it again in their equipment.

Shelf life of the Glidden? Thanks.

• Dze
    Favorite Answer

Depends I've had some opened that has lasted over 10 years before .. I'm sure you'll be fine with a little shaken ..

a drill and a clean auger can be used to remix the stuff,,a thin skin may be on the top when you reopen the can,,skim it off, if you have a spare no rust on it,paint lid,,make a hole large enough for the auger flared tip to reach down to  the bottom,,,be careful with the sharp tip of the auger,or cover it with some duck tape,

bring the can to the home depot paint dept,the guys will usually help with the DIY home projecter if you do not wish to muck about with the above method

I USE A STIR STICK  That works just fine.  Oil or Latex.   You may have to cut off the skin as it dries on top. so you strain out the skin if you could not grasp it after you cut the edges and fold it to take it out and toss.  It is dried so will not redissolve.  If it is latex you do not want to have the paint freeze...as that separates the chemicals apart, my paint is WAY OLDER THAN 1 YEAR OLD, try 40

We have paint in cans that are 20 years old, should have frozen a few times. So old the paint labels have fallen off. If you can stir it up, it is still good and paints fine.  And matched to the tint of paint that was on the walls for 20 years.

I have some paint that was probably made in the 1960s. I used it in my kitchen a few years ago. If paint doesn't smell funny and you can stir it until it's smooth, it's still good. Once or twice in the last 40 years or so I've had paint that went off. Smelled like rotten eggs. Don't you have a stir stick? Unless you're already going there for something else, why go to the store to get paint shaken? You can stir it in less time than it takes to get from your car to the paint department and back.

• Tavy

Stir it for goodness sake, I have used 10 year old paint.