Is there a doctor or type of doctor/ medical career that uses Differential equations or in general calculus on a daily basis??

Im really good at math but I also have a strong passion for Biology

(I am a Bio major in a pre-med track).

I just want to know if there's a specific doctor or career path in the medical industry that utilizes calculus. I know it sounds like a dumb question but I just want to know if there is a profession out there where they use both calculus and biology on the daily basis.

• Judy

unlikely.................

• GTB

Consider Biomedical Engineering - which is either an Electrical Engineer or a Mechanical Engineer with the biomedical application; they design and make the hardware and control systems used in things like artificial limbs and the control package for such. Electrical Engineering is a bit more math intense and uses differential equations more. For more info see the Biomedical Engineering pathways offered by many well respected Engineering Schools. Good luck!

Not a dumb question. In fact it got me to thinking.

And I think MDs who specialize in disease vectors and pandemics would need to be facile with partial differential equations, vectors analysis, and matrix math and/or tensors. Why?

Because they'd need to model the spread and spread rate of diseases across the globe. And those two forms of math are ideal for such modeling.

You would be far more likely to use advanced mathematics in a research position - such as researching new drugs, than as a doctor who actually sees patients on a daily basis.

As a doctor who takes appointments and treats patients, you would generally stick to using/prescribing approved medications where the dosages, timing, etc have all been calculated. So you aren't going to have to figure out how many grams of some drug to give to a patient, you just look up their dosage on a chart, or at best do a simple calculation like multiply their body weight times a ratio to determine a dosage.

But in a research field you'd have to use advanced mathematics to determine those dosage charts. You need to use calculus to determine how fast a patient's liver filters a drug out of their bloodstream since the rate of change of the concentration of the drug is proportional to the current concentration (you'd need to use integral calculus for this). So you'd have to use calculus or at least a computer modeling tool based on calculus to determine how much drug to give a patient and how often.