Can you become a teacher in something other than nursing with a nursing degree?

This may not make sense, but it's just something I'm curious about and can't find much information on. I have my LPN license and am in school to get my Bachelor's in Nursing. If later on I decided I had an interest in teaching, would someone with a nursing degree be able to teach, say, a Health or First-Aid class in a middle/high school?

I understand if you want to work in an educational setting with a nursing degree, you can become a nursing school instructor or a school nurse; but what I'm wondering is if you could be qualified to teach other health-related courses. Not just a one-time class but as a regular position.

• Judy

You'd also need a number of education courses to be able to pass the teacher licensing exam

If you want a regular, full-time teaching job at a public school in the U.S., you have to have a teaching credential (by taking a test) and probably a degree in education. In many U.S. middle and high schools, "health" is part of the physical education curriculum and taught be PE teachers.   If you want to work for or volunteer with an organization that does community outreach or runs first-aid certification classes, you'd need to check with the specific organization about their requirements. It is likely a BSN nurse would be qualified for those type of roles.

• RP

There are many other possibilities such as health maintenance or wellness. Along with schools, many large business have fitness programs and a nurse could provide both training and education that is related to fitness. The list goes on and on.

• Mark

That was just what I was going to say:  "Health" in a high school.