Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 2 months ago

does recycling bottles really help the environment?

I recycle bottles all the time but is it really helping the environment? I wanna know my efforts are well endowed.

I know for a fact where I live the recycling goes to the landfill

It depends.

Recycling a bottle saves energy.  It also prevents it ending up in landfill, in the ocean or being incinerated. 

However, the first question you should be asking yourself should be is, should I be using a single use bottle, if there is an alternative? 

Yes locally in your city it does

In theory yes but if the plastic is contaminated by filth the whole batch is thrown into landfills.

I don’t know the exact % but a lot of plastic is not recycled due to contamination. 

yes, otherwise they wouldn't bother doing it

• oikoσ

Yes, although not as much (measured by weight) as recycling aluminum. However, every bit helps.

Your recycling bottles, along with everyone else, will help the environment Unfortunately, with everything else that goes on it's like peeing on a forest fire to put it out.

• Mark

GLASS bottles, yes.  Plastic bottles, not so much.

• David

Yes, indeed it does and thank you for contributions.

• Sandy

glass is a lot easier to recycle than plastic. keep up the good work. on the episode of Adam Ruins Everything about recycling, he explains why the soda industry went from using glass bottles to tin cans. glass was much better.