Do you think enough legal advice is provided to people before they sign a marriage contract?

Before getting married did you ever have the full marriage contract explained to you in legal terms and did you have your lawyer look over it? I’ve had a Catholic priest lecture me on what marriage is but he knows nothing of the legal intricacies that make up marriage in the UK. 

This is probably the same in Australia. You get all the spiritual preaching but where is the legal expert? Forget religion, every couple should be counseled in the legal ramifications of the document they will sign. 

Most couples sign it without even reading it. How mad is that?

Not really it's pretty serious. 

well  marriage is supposed to be for life .so if ya worry about all the legal things if the marriage fails ..well the marriage has failed before its begun...…. I suppose if one is filthy rich....maybe put some protection in there  to cover that 

Are you asking about a prenup?  If so, an attorney explains the terms to you.

You are confusing Church and State.

WHERE is a marriage contract required?

No, I would not encourage any man to marry in Australia if she never works and there are No children she still steals 50% of what you provided by using the Family Law courts

Buy a bunch of rent books and show she paid $10 a week to live in Your Home don't forget to tell the tax office of the extra $10 as a lodger she gets nothing if she turns nasty

Couples have to make vows when they get married. Presumably you would have paid attention to these.

There's no such thing as marriage contract unless you meant marriage certificate. HDB I think you overstayed your welcome in Qatar because I believe the sun and heat is frying your brain. Get out and go back home to the U.K and cool down, otherwise you'll become dense like me and all the Aussies here with brain cancer. Save yourself.

Some people just should not post stupid questions.

• ?

Nobody wants to pay a lawyer for that long. You can get all the information online. 

Go ask a lawyer then, they charge.

• Adam D

"provided"?  People getting married or engaging in any contractual agreement are adults.  So it is the responsibility of those people to get whatever information they need to have.  It is nobody else's responsibility to provide unsolicited information.

The real way this should be worded is, do enough people look deeply enough into the legal intricacies before getting married?  The answer is, of course, nope.