Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 months ago

Remember in the olden days when people had to use myspace? What’s something ridiculous you remember from your youth?

Having to wait for one of your neighbors to get off the rotary dial phone before you could make a call. Back when there were party lines (ours was shared with three others, then one, before technology improved and the party line was history) and real people called operators who sat in an office making connections with wires with plugs - people who could listen to everything you said, if they wanted to.

Instead of just driving us to McDonalds' for a burger when we were hungry, the chief of our clan would make us all walk for miles until we found a mammoth herd.  Then we would have to attack one of the weaker ones, but even so, at least one of us was usually killed or maimed.  Then we would have to spend a couple of days gutting, skinning and butchering the thing and dragging it back for miles to our cave, hoping those damned Neanderthals wouldn't get wind of it and attack us.  That was so retarded.

Not referring to the old days as olden.

But, I do remember Britney prior to the mental break-down. LOL

• Mike W

If you wanted to look something up you had to go to the library.  You had to know how to use a card catalogue, and read the Dewey Decimal System.  You might even need to know how to use a microfilm reader or a microfiche reader.   

My youth goes back a bit further into the past than Myspace.  When I was a kid, I had to get up off the couch and walk 8, 10, maybe even 12 feet to the television and change the channel by hand.....and we had deep pile shag carpeting that I had to trudge through!  And we only had 5 channels to pick from...CBS, ABC, NBC, NET (now PBS) and a local independent station.

Pen and paper! Going to the movies! And when the harshest movie dialog was like "Why, I oughta...!", "Say, listen, you mugs!", and my favorite, "I'll thrash you! Grrr!"

I had to take public transportation to school and old ladies from downtown would sit uncomfortably close to me and rub themselves against me.

I remember the good old days before Donnie got into office and repiggies flushed every atom of common sense they ever had down the toilet

Scene kid days lol