Why isnt anyone doing anything about nursing homes?

Why isnt there a movement to make insurance companies pay? Nursing homes are a rip off and cost way too much but no one is doing anything about it. They often steal your stuff. The workers dont care. I have had several grandparents go through them. The quality is no where near the cost. It's literally almost criminal. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Insurance companies get their money from us, so if they're paying more, so are we.

The cost of running a nursing home is probably much greater than what you're imagining, too.

I've been in BEAUTIFUL, well-staffed, nursing homes, but you need a beautiful and well-staffed bank account to get through the front door.

One I worked at as a student was set up like a small village. It had floors with a cobblestone appearance, street lights, bus stops with benches and shelters, a pet shop (room with aquariums and small animals housed), a 50's style diner that actually served food, a workshop, a boutique where you could try on vintage hats and jewelry, a grand dining room, gardens, a beauty salon, etc. The people who were able to walk or use a wheelchair wandered around there very happily.

Point is, there are great options available for people who are willing to pay for them. If you're looking to someone else to pay, your choices become much more limited.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You have a choice...take care of your grandparents and parents yourself.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

But it's all OK if an insurance company is paying for it? Really?

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Last year my Mom spent 6 months in a few board and care type homes. They are expensive but the costs for those owners are very high too. There was no problem with criminal acts. For a good quality home, you have to shop around a lot.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

All you have to do is buy nursing home insurance.  The coverage is out there.  My mother is in a nursing home.  She seems to be happy & well taken care of.   

• Kirk2 months agoReport

Okay thank you for the tip

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

so take care of them yourself.

if not, then maybe they should have thought about 401K when they were still able...many old people don't NEED others to take care of them.

those who do have Medicare, Medicaid, and Welfare...

• 2 months ago

Insurance companies will pay.  All you have to do is purchase the right kind of insurance - it's call "long term care insurance".

If you have any grandparents left, if they need to go in to a nursing home, do your own research.  Evaluate the ones in you area and find on that does care.  And visit often - the more the staff sees relatives, the better your relatives will be taken care of. 

• Kirk2 months agoReport

Thank you for the information

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because capitalism. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.