When to rebuild a chimney?

I'm wondering when a chimney would need to be rebuilt? Mine is straight and the chimney from the roof line up have been rebuilt before I moved in. From the basement to about as far up as I can tell the mortar is starting to crumble and I have noticed a few small holes that I had to patch. The brick seems fine but the mortar in all the joints I can see are soft and crumbly. I'm hoping it doesnt need a new chimney but it may. Would anyone have a rough idea for how much a rebuild would cost? The chimney is probably around 50feet tall and maybe 2feet wide. 

It is used for an oil fired boiler

I would have a contractor that does chimney restoration work take a look at it.

if the bricks are good then just rake it out and repoint

if the bricks are good then just rake it out and repoint ..its a simple job if you know what your doing ..i have taken down dozens of chimneys in my time ..most chimneys have perished mortar ...in most cases you can just pick the bricks off ..they remain just by their sheer weight ...if its an oil fired boiler it should be fitted with a flue liner anyway ...because if its a 2 potter or more the midfeather can collapse and fumes can leak into neighbouring flues 

If it were me, I would have a mason come and look at it and determine what, if anything, needs to be done. 

the mortar repair is called "tuck pointing" and is normal for chimneys. I'd not consider replacing it unless a very experienced contractor who works regularly on tuck pointing tells you it is beyond saving.

Source(s): grampa

What is it used for? Is it is an open fire it needs sorting as fumes can enter the house , if it is gas there should be a lining inside to protect you from harmful fumes if it is electric if doesn't matter it depends on its use if it is not used just keep pointing when necessary only when serious cracks appear is It ready to be taken down 

• Equaliser1 month agoReport

It was once a fire with smoke but an electric fire was put in place to comply with smoke regulations, it's not rocket science to me anyway 

As soon as Santa attempts to get down the chimney and complains of smoke and soot.

i would talk to someone that has a lot of experience in building them about it

Never seen that on homes under 100 years old.  The houses generally are tore down and rebuilt into something more modern.  Most of the chimney is Protected by the house if it has a central fireplace. On the end of the house, you can see the mortar is exposed to the elements and can see if it is falling apart.Most times I have seen that just get a new mortar facing.  The guys who do brick work would "have to see it" and they can tell you what is what.  Get more than one opinion and cost estimate.

• Murzy

You might need a sleeve.

• Nuff Sed

Yes, consider getting quotes for a new chimney liner for your oil flue. They may be quite inexpensive, but you may still need to do some masonry maintenance on the exposed part of the chimney, for structural safety.