Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 8 months ago

What does it mean when beer doesn’t get you drunk anymore? ?

Sounds like your tolerance is going up

It means you're an alcoholic

• Uri

It's either your tolerance is higher or you drink beer that's too light. I for example drink beer that has 16% alc. it's called MEGA DEMON, two of those and I'm already drunk. Try something heavier. 

You drank too much so your tolerance is higher?

• blank

That your tolerance is higher.

• Todd

Most of the people where I live would simply say, "Well, then the person is drinking the wrong type of beer." We have a lot of microbreweries here that like to brew all different kinds of beer, some of them quite strong.

It can mean one of three things. One of which others have mentioned: you’ve built up a tolerance and don’t feel the effects AS MUCH. Alternatively your liver has matured and is remarkably good at processing alcohol. This is extraordinary and unlikely but still possible. The third is that you have a bowel problem like diarrhoea, whereby it all comes out before your body can absorb it. But if that were the case, getting drunk would be the least of your worries. 

Scotch time or time to get help with your alcoholism.

While that's a sign of building tolerance, maybe that can be reworded as maturing. Two Bud lights shouldn't have you puking and dancing on tables after you steal them from your dad's fishing cooler at age 11. The good side is this opens up a new world of stronger craft beers and liquors. A night of drinking and partying shouldn't look like my 17 year old sister-in-law at a wedding, taking one sip of vodka and excitedly asking "can you get drunk on one sip! Oh my god I think I'm feeling it!!!"

it means you need to quit drinking before you ruin your liver