Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Are pronouns sexist?

If you think about it they are. Why do they have to designate sex anyway? It is meant to divide men from woman and is no different from segregation and the caste system.

• Zirp

Most of them are not, and some languages do not even distinguish "he" from "she"

You could say that English is a sexist language because it doesn't have a separate pronoun for the third person singular when the sexe is unknown (unborn baby) or irrelevant (like when you need a doctor)

• James

Yes, they are. I saw two of them down the pub last night, drinking lots of beer and catcalling women and referring to them as something I don't care to repeat.

Solution.  If you don't want to be sexist, call everyone the gender neutral word that is "it".

If you start referring to everyone you know as "it" instead of "he" or "she" I will clap for you.  Try it for a day.

• RP

Contrary to other languages where gender doesn't appear to make sense... I often think of French where the gender of the word for vagina is masculine (le Vagine) and the gender of the word for penis is feminine (la Verge), English pronouns are usually based on the actual gender, but the real question is whether this is necessary. Often, the answer is they are not and, in those circumstances, it makes sense to use gender neutral words and have pronouns correspond to the gender neutral construction.

• Jason

No, pronouns aren't sexist. Treating a woman like crap because she's a woman is. There are two genders and the rest are mental illnesses. 

No.  I just asked my sister and a transgender friend of mine and they both agreed that pronouns are not sexist.  Ignorant people are sexist.

• Yavan

Nobody actually believes that, troll. Conservatism is all about fabricating outrage.

Conservatives in America are quite the sight to behold: They are, by any measure, the most privileged people in the history of mankind. (yeah, yeah… I know you did it all yourselves… pfffrttt!).

And somehow they never stop kicking and screaming and whining about all sorts of made-up nonsense.

Gender specific pronouns are subliminally engineered to cause feelings of psychosis and oppression in transgendered individuals.