Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 8 months ago

I don't get how young-people are expected to grow up by themselves?

I'm 24 years old. I still don't how to pick

a career on my own - let alone how to

rent an apartment or pay bills. My parents

taught me very little. It's almost as if I

don't have a father to teach me these things.

I don't get it. Advice Please. 

A lot of kids are like you in that they don't get the good parental guidance they desperately need.  However, YOU have something more valuable. It is your computer and the internet. Google anything you need to know and the world is at your fingertips. You can look up, how to start a business with very little monies, How to get your first apartment, How to pay the bills, how to keep the bills low, How to get a good-paying job, etc. My parents taught me very little as well, but today I own 2 businesses because I was determined to succeed and I never gave up. 

Your success solely depends on you and your determination to succeed. So make a plan. First, get a good-paying job. (Google) Second, google what bills to expect when owning an apartment. Then when you saved enough, get the apartment. Then find a better job. Go to college part-time so you can get an even better job unless you decide to start your own business...(Google it)  Plan your life in phases, then complete that phase and move to the next, until you are where you want to be. And keep asking questions. This is how you learn and succeed.

• Amber

I get it. One day I was a child and the next I turned sixteen and suddenly I was an adult being told "you're an adult now, so act like one." I had no idea how adults acted and what they did. And when I did adults things I got into trouble.

My Mum would go out and not ask permission or tell anyone, she'd just go to the shops. That's an adult thing. When I did I got told off for not telling or asking permission. I got so confused. To me it was an adult thing to do and I was an adult so I could it, right? Wrong apparently. Then I realized I was allowed to do adult things that made my Mum's life easier, like paying my own way, doing my own laundry and cooking my own meals. This causes problems because she kept moving the goal posts. No one taught me anything. 

I taught myself to use a washing machine, cooker. Taught myself to cook and clean. You just have to do it. Start on basic stuff. 

Same with managing money. When I first started working at sixteen I had to pay my mum rent, put enough aside for my bus fair to and from work, and money for my dog. After that I could spend what I wanted on whatever I liked. 

At 20 I had my own home. Bill people were amazing with me. They are using handling clueless, idiots like me and really helped me get started up. I got no help either. As a adult you have to just figure things out and stop leaning and looking to others to be hand held. You'll cope. 

• LizB

You learn by deciding you're going to do something and then starting the process of doing the thing. And if necessary you ask for advice along the way, or hop on the internet and research it, or both. If you mess up somehow, then you learn from your mistakes. This was true when I was a young adult 20 years ago, and it's not any different now -- well, except for maybe that there about a billion helpful YouTube videos you can watch to figure stuff out.

• Suzy Q

And yet you manage to use the Internet...

How many years of school did you have to take to figure out social media?

Most people when they turn 18 or sooner get out under their parents roof and try to make it on their own. They make lots of mistakes. But they grow from them. I am guessing you have a disability that prevented you from this ordinary transition to adulthood. 

You have two choices. Start reading the internet and make plans to get out on your own. Or find a service provider than can help you. Supervised assisted living.

I grew up in a home where I was not taught self care either but I had enough wisdom to teach myself. Stop using excuses and grow up. I actually had a janitor a laundry mat teach me how to do my laundry because I had no idea. There are always people around to help out if you ask.

maybe you should get some counseling, it might help you out

@ 24 you should be capable of figuring things out all by yourself. Stop blaming your parents.😉