Can I use my tax surplus on next years taxes?

I drove for a living last year. I claimed mileage on my taxes. I had over 15K so it was a surplus. Yet I never got a check from the IRS. 

Can I use that this next year since it’s technically still my taxes I paid? 

You cannot use mileage to create a refund. That is deduction, it can only reduce income to $0, you cannot reduce beyond that. The IRS does not pay you for your mileage, it is simply a deductible expense.

If you did not get a check, it is because you were not due a refund, and there is no surplus to apply forward.

Also, it isn't taxes you paid, at all.

Unless you indicated on your tax return that you wanted any surplus to be applied to this year's taxes, you'll need to talk to the IRS to find out what happened to the refund.  It could just be a glitch or there could be a return with your taxes though it's odd you haven't heard anything about it.

• Eva

You need to get last year's taxes straightened out before you do this year's. If you had an overpayment for 2018 it can be applied to 2019, but the IRS has to know that's what you want. There may be a problem with your 2018 return. What kind of driving did you do? W2 employee or self employed like Uber or Lyft or OTR trucking? There are different rules for each about how mileage is handled.

What do you mean by "it was a surplus?"

• Judy

You can't just write it on your return this year, you'll have to check with the IRS to see why you never got it. It might have been disallowed, but then you would have gotten a letter saying why.. If you requested a check, it could have been lost.

Please say you didn't attempt to claim the fuel tax credit.  For OTR trucking, it doesn't apply.

i would call a tax place and ask them this question

• Coffee Drinker

Really? You would? that's a surprise, since its all you ever say in your useless answers on this forum. You're a level 7 and you've never once helped anyone by actually answering a question. Why are you even here?

If you are due a REFUND, you can have it applied to the following years taxes instead of being refunded to you. In the US, an over-payment of taxes IS NOT referred to as a surplus.

That said, if a refund was issued, as far as the government is concerned, you DID receive it and there is NOTHING to apply to next years taxes.

When you filed your tax return, you had two options regarding your over-payment:

1)   Apply to next years' tax; or

2)   Refund my over-payment.

Which option did you choose?   Since you didn't receive a refund, I'm guessing you chose the "apply to next year" option.   To know for sure, look at your tax return.

Short answer to your question is YES.