Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 10 months ago

car accident question?

Today, someone hit my car while they were backing up. They could only pay me $150 at the moment since they didn’t have any cash on themselves. I wanted to call the police but it was there boss's car and they didn’t have insurance. We talked and agree on the price of $450 since I called the car retailer and they said it would be around that to fix my car. But they paid me $150 today and said they will transfer $300 tomorrow. But the problem is they gave me a phone number to text and I took a picture of the license plate and license. Am I doing something wrong? Are the people that hit my car going to run or something  since they live in another state. 

13 Answers

  • 9 months ago

    Most likely, $450 isn't anywhere near enough to pay for the damages.  Good luck getting the other $300.

  • 10 months ago

    Oh yeah, you did something wrong.  You did a lot of things wrong, in fact.

  • lucy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    Insurance "follows" the car, (bosses) who owns it, not the driver.  

    An insurance company would never accept a "verbal" quote of the price to fix, but a written estimate before it would pay for the damages. 

    The good news is that you got a picture of the license plate.  You can still file a police report of the accident and the police can look up the plate to see who the boss shows is the insurance on the vehicle.  

    Odds are you will be blocked on the text and won't see the extra money.   Anytime people choose to not call the police and decide to "negotiate" at the scene will get burned. 

    Source(s): retired auto adjuster
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

    Please give me your name and phone number.  I have about 3 miles of freeway near the ocean for you to buy.  If you deposit $1500 on my Cayman account,  I will give you a 15% discount but that offer is only for today. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

    You goofed big time. You should have called the police to get the incident documented. It is definitely possible that the other party will stiff you.

  • Bort
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

    This is insurance fraud.

  • Anonymous
    10 months ago got a quote for bodywork over the phone ,sketchy.

    You should have called the police.

    Have fun chasing them down to get the additional money.

  • 10 months ago

    Yes, you did something wrong.  You broke the law and accepted a bribe.  REPORT the accident.  It is very likely that you are not going to get any more money out of them.  Even if you do, you should have called the police and reported it - that's the law, and it protects you.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Carmen
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

    A wise person sees danger and protects themselves if any information was provided that’s a start but not always a guarantee of benefits but as mentioned always call the police to avoid more unnecessary issues later whoever wiser will think pass dollars signs because regardless of what money was exchanged at the scene the law was broken and 2 wrongs don’t make it right you reap what you sow if you’re not honest .

  • .
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    Yes.  Anytime you have an accident, you need a police report.  That helps you get all the information you need.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.