Synthetic OIL CHANGE: I rarely drive my car, about 1000 miles a year. How often should I get an oil change?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

At least once a year. See this post on when to change oil

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/when-to-chan...

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Once again, READ the owner's manual and FOLLOW the oil change interval by mileage or time whichever comes FIRST.  It is better to sell your car and just UBER it or rent when you have to do a long drive.

• 8 months ago

Every 5,000 miles with no time limit when using synthetic oil.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 8 months ago

search your vehicle's maintenance schedule online

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Check your manual, my Miata says no less than once a year though that seems a little long to me.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

At least once a year.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Same situation here:  driving one of our cars less and less . . . . have a trusted mechanic who gives it a good going-over once a year . . . his idea to change the oil every-other year . . . . this time it's on 3rd year and maybe 700 miles on it.  I'll insist it get changed in Spring . . . . we make sure that when we do take it out, we drive at least 20 minutes to get it up to full operating temp.  Another thing to keep up-on is the coolant:  change as recommended in owners manual/maintenance guide:  a lot of aluminum in engines these days and the anti-corrosion additives in the coolant need to be renewed.

• 8 months ago

With a good quality synthetic, it's good for 10,000 mile or more.

I'd say change the filter annually and top up as needed, then change every 5000 miles just to remove any contamination.

• 8 months ago

Why have a car?  I'd change it once a year if that is all you drive it.

• al
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

When the change oil light comes on!

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.