Nick asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Should I join the Army or the Air Force?

I am currently 22 and work as an Assistant Branch Manager for a Bank. I currently have my bachelors degree in business manager, and am pursuing an MBA in Organizational Leadership. I have wanted to go into the Military ever since I was in JROTC in High School. I enjoyed the Army's customs and liked the structure (army JROTC), but always felt like I would be a better Airman. I want to enlist as an Officer, and am currently working with a recruiter in both the Army and the Air force to see with branch I would want to go into. Both give me a speech about how their respective branch is much better than any other (no surprise). I wanted to see what the real differences were for an Officer in both fields, and identify which one I would better align with. 

My Family and Friends all encourage the Air Force because of the Sterotype that the AF is much more laid back and less dangerous, but they have no idea that both have their pros and cons when comparing the two (in terms of danger).

Any feedback or advice would help! Thanks in Advance!

• John

The USAF sent me to 12 months of electronics training and then 8 bases mostly in places like Vietnam to Northern Japan.  At all places we worked in air conditioned buildings repairing airborne navigation equip.  Never saw a mre until decades later at a swap meet.

• Mike

Army   ,They might put you in Paperwork or it depends on   your test  

• The army looks at the thing you are most qualified to do, and then puts you in the exact opposite job. That is the army way.

You should get  real job.

Airforce means less chance of getting killed or having bits of you blown off. 

Rick.  Don't enlist, get a commission, go in as an officer.  Thank you for your patriotism. Go for it. You'll never be sorry.  When you get old, what are you going to tell your grandkids?  That you worked in a bank?  You have one chance to do something special.  Make it count.  Do something spectacular that you can hang on your wall and say, I did that. 

I'm a USAF Vietnam veteran and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, even knowing the outcome.  The Air Force is not soft, they have some bada$$ career fields, and you learn some things that help you all throughout your life.

Good luck.  Follow your dream.  Don't spend your whole life behind a desk and then, when you're old, look back and say, I sure wish . . . . . .

neither.. the boy scouts are looking for you.

If you want to be a line officer and really see some action, lead troops, bet fit and know how to fight, join the Army. If you want a job that is much more like a civilian job, not have to bust your nuts exercising, do not care about leading, join the Air Force.

Source(s): Retired Air Force.
  • Mrsjvb

Officers do not enlist.  They are granted a commission.  Your degree isn’t all that competitive.  If your GPA is not at least a 3.75, even less so esp for the AF.  They want STEM degrees.

For either branch, make sure are working with an Officer recruiter.  Otherwise you are going to be enlisting, which will delay any commission progress several years.  

Newsflash:  the AF really isn’t as cushy or laid back as everyone thinks

• Daniel

First, officers don't enlist.

After 20 years as an Air Force officers who frequently worked with the Army, I would say go Air Force.

Not having a STEM degree isn't going to help you stand out.

For the Air Force at least, non-prior enlisted OTS officers make up a small minority of the officer corps (AFROTC and USAFA usually produce over 3/4 of new officers each year)..  The Air Force right now is focusing on filling pilot shortfalls.  

I recommend the Army.