Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 8 months ago

WHY did my car roll back even though I was using the HANDBRAKE :( so embarassing?

So I stalled on a hill in a multi storey parking lot. I was going too slow and in second gear. I thought fine ill recover by putting the handbrake up and with my foot on the break, and with the biting point on the clutch. When I let go off the break so that I can now accelerate the car WAS ROLLING DOWN omg I panicked. My hand brake was still on so that I wouldn't roll back but the car still rolled. I kept trying to find the biting point and no matter how much higher I would go the car KEPT ON ROLLING. I didn't stall btw. I just was NOT getting the chance to remove my foot off the brake for gas otherwise I could've driven off. WHy did this happen?? The hump was very steep but surely the handbrake still should've have worked and the clutch!

(btw I ended up getting out of the car and swapping seats with my mum in front of EVEYRONE and she drove the car)

You should have just used the handbake and gas pedal

• Edna

If your car stalled on a hill and began rolling backward, why didn't you just take your foot off the gas and step on the brake, in order to prevent the car from rolling backward? Keep your foot on the brake, re-start your stalled engine, and drive forward. 

Don't ever rely on an emergency brake to prevent or stop a car from rolling backward on a steep hill (or to "stop" a moving car at all), because they can't do it. They're not really "emergency" brakes; they're "parking" brakes. They're used to prevent a car from rolling forward or backward after the engine has been turned off and the car is parked on a slight incline. 

Most likely the handbrake is not adjusted tight enough. That's typically the case when people don't use the handbrakes much when they are parked. The use of the handbrake itself keeps it adjusted and tightened.

• Neil

The problem was with the handbrake. Either it needs to be adjusted, because it isn't holding properly, or you simply hadn't pulled it up enough to hold properly on the hill.

The handbrake should be able to hold the car no matter what you do with the clutch. Try it again on a slope, preferably a quiet one, where you have space to roll back if it doesn't hold. If it holds, you simply didn't have it on enough in the car park. If it doesn't hold, it needs to be checked by a mechanic.

If you have disc brakes in the rear the small parking brake shoes inside the rotors are bad or not adjusted properly.

If you have brake drums in the rear get the brake shoes adjusted.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

You were too weak to put the handbrake on as hard as it needed to be on that incline.

The handbrake only needs to be adjusted so it holds the car. For years and years, I've been told to back up and apply the brake several time to adjust it. That never worked for me. Brakespoons always worked when I've manually adjusted my rear brakes. Take the car to a shop and have them adjust your brakes for you.

It is not unusual for a car's handbrake to need adjusting by a mechanic in order for it to work properly. It may have also been that you didn't have the handbrake fully engaged. Perhaps you need more practice with hill starts if the handbrake was not faulty. 

The car should not have rolled back even if you didn't operate the clutch properly. Perhaps you didn't have the handbrake fully engaged. Pulling the handbrake up just one more notch to its full potential can stabilise the vehicle if the handbrake is working properly in the first place. 

The handbrake needs investigation. Maybe the friction material has worn away? Maybe the automatic adjuster in the drum needs attention?

Maybe hydraulic fluid has escaped and contaminated the linings? Whatever it is the drums will have to come off for inspection. A good mechanic will locate the problem and restore the handbrake efficiency.