Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Why are modern women trying to be more like men?

Obsession with "careers", rejecting marriage and motherhood, talking, dressing and acting like men and getting themselves all covered up in tattoos like a man as well.

Favorite Answer

Bro...... I asked myself this question. It's crazy. I think it's because feminism is sooo strong today that it has programmed women into thinking they can do EXACTLY what us men can, when that is not true. I miss the classy woman who was feminine, had respect for their man instead of acting like one.

Because gender norms have changed over time, back in the day they didn’t have most of these rights now they do. 

It's important to remember that the 1950s and 1960s were a short time in American life, and not the norm. Most people, including women, worked pre- and post- the "golden age". The jobs might have changed (farm vs. factory vs. store) but men *and* women worked throughout history. And as discovered when the pill was made available, most women don't want to have 10+ kids.

Also, don't forget there were laws regulating women (the Pregnancy Discrimination Act didn't come around until 1978) and strong social pressure. Do I enjoy the 1950s aesthetic? I do. Am I glad I have the ability to wear jeans without being shamed or judged for it? Yes.

This initially sounds like a sexist question but its not really. I think women should have careers etc but i hate the way some women dress so masculinely and i despise tattoos on women!!!!!

What do you mean? Having careers?

• James

I'm sure you can find a few women here and there who are not covered in tattoos if you really look hard enough, mate.

• Clive

What does this have to do with law and ethics?

• blank

It is an over reaction to historical gender oppression.   Too many women feel like they NEED to blend into "a man's world" and "be one of the boys" in order to succeed. 

Guess there might be something to that - stand out and you are an easy target?

There is NO reason a woman cannot be powerful, smart, career oriented, etc - it is well within their freedom of choice rights - and still be feminine.  There are thousands of women doing just that.

That said tho - what does it matter?   Let a PERSON be who they want to be - NOT as we THINK they should be.

As I've explained to you repeatedly, they aren't.

Why is the word career in quotes?

I'm sorry you can't find anyone willing to date you.

• David S

Maybe not where you are or in the groups you frequent, but you don't know what's going on everywhere, so maybe you should be a little less confident that you're 100% correct.

I am not a psychic. All I can tell you is that I just got an easy 2pts.