Anxiety and caffine?

I was at work and I drunk a energy drink and a few mins later it was hard for me to breathe I would have to gasp for air through my mouth somtimes....this was right before my Dr said I was having bad anxiety...I thought I was gonna have a heart attack which made it worse.

My breathing got easier after a few days

What exacally happend??

• Eva

You had a reaction to the excessive caffeine in an energy drink. Couple that with an anxiety attack (could have been brought on by the caffeine) and it can make you feel like you're having a heart attack. You should avoid energy drinks completely and watch you intake of anything else with caffeine.

Anxiety and Caffeine

How to tell if coffee, tea, or other forms of caffeine are causing anxious feelings and/or fueling your anxiety

No drug is used as frequently worldwide as caffeine. However, the ubiquity of caffeine sometimes causes people to forget that it is a powerful stimulant. Caffeine not only stays alert and energized, it also has many positive health effects. Too much caffeine can increase anxiety or complicate an existing anxiety disorder with increasing symptoms.

Fear is the reaction of our body to situations that we perceive as disturbing or threatening and promotes our body's reaction to "fight or flight". Caffeine also triggers this reaction and leads to an overreaction to situations that are not really dangerous or problematic. Too much caffeine can irritate and excite you in situations where you are normally not affected. And if you already have anxiety or panic attacks, caffeine can make these symptoms worse.

The effects of caffeine may also include:

1. Move

2.sleep disorders

3. unrest

4. cramps

5. dizziness

6. increased heart rate

7. nausea

8. diarrhea

9. mood swings

The Food and Drug Administration believes that a daily intake of 400 mg or less of caffeine is safe for most adults (exceptions, including pregnant women and others with special limitations) .3 This amount is approximately 3 4 cups of coffee, you would drink. Prepare yourself at home. Drinking more than this may cause "coffee poisoning" and those who drink excessive and regular caffeine and have difficulty in reducing their consumption may be dysregulated by caffeine intake.

• Linda

The caffeine from the energy drink made your heart speed up and that is why you felt the way that you did. Caffeine in excess makes the heart rate increase and makes breathing harder. Caffeine can also make you feel anxious. Limit your caffeinated drinks in future and this shouldn't be an issue.

This is a side effect of all the caffeine. I know many people who have similar reactions. A trucker friend once stopped at an ER with similar symptoms and he was shaking like crazy while gasping for air. It was all because of energy drinks. He had drank I think like 3 in a row to keep himself awake while driving.