Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Can I apply for an Australian passport if my grandparent is a citizen but not by birth?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only if you're actually an Australian citizen.

• 1 month ago

No - grandparents are too distant a relation to get citizenship through

• Brooky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only an Australian citizen can get an Australian passport.

If your grandparent is your closest Australian citizen relative, you are very definitely not an Australian citizen and nor do you have any claim to citizenship.

If your parent was born outside Australia, they may have been eligible for citizenship by descent (from your grandparent) but citizenship by descent is never automatic - it must always be applied for.

They would need to have applied for citizenship by descent and had it granted BEFORE your birth to be able to pass it to you and that would only have been possible if they had lived in Australia for at least 2 years at some time in their life.

Sounds complicated? Well it is, but those are the facts.

You're a couple of generations too late.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become...

• 1 month ago

The same way as any other person does.  By meeting the criteria, and applying.  Your grandparent managed it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If your grand parent was an Australian citizen at the time of your parent's birth then once your parent obtains proof of being an Australian citizen when you were born you > may < qualify for Australian citizenship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_nationali...

• 1 month ago

No. Your parent had to be a citizen of Australia at the time of your birth for you to have any possible claim of birthright citizenship in Australia. Your grandparent's acquired citizenship is irrelevant. Furthermore, your grandfather cannot sponsor your immigration so you can live in Australia, either.

• 1 month ago

Yes, if you mail in your application to the US consulate, you can apply for an Australian passport. The application will be dismissed, of course, because you are not an Australian citizen.

You can also apply for a German passport if you once had a German shepherd or drove a Volkswagen, but the result will be the same.

• 1 month ago

I'm American so I'm only guessing. But passports are issue by the country in which you are a legal citizen. You are the citizen, not your relatives. That's the way it is in America; so I'm guessing it's that way down under too.

Bottom line...are you a legal citizen of Australia?

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can apply for whatever you want, however as you are not already an Austrialian citizen and only Austrialian citizens can get an Austrialian psssport you would be wasting your time and money, nor can you become an Austrialian citizen based on your grandparent

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.