Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicComics & Animation · 8 months ago

Was the original Batman as smart as the new Batman?

I’m not talking about their gadgets/weapons, I’m taking about the ability to beat almost any obstacle if given preparation time.

And when I said new Batman I meant original Batman 

He started out as a detective. Some recent writers haven't really delved into that aspect of the character, but the character was inspired by detectives from pulp magazines. Adam West's Batman was campy, but that was the drug-induced 60's. Many people aren't aware that West wasn't the first actor to put on the cape and cowl. Robert Lowery and Lewis Wilson played the character before him in the 40's. 

Strange Detective, Black Mask Detective, Variety Detective, Hooded detective, The Black Hood, Black Book Detective, Hard boiled detective, Private Detective, Phantom Detective, Ghost Super Detective, Sherlock Holmes, D I C K Tracy...etc...

The aristocratic wealthy guy that had a secret identity as a fighter was also a popular trope, cliche, or overly used theme or device. Perhaps the Scarlet Pimpernel was the first? Zorro (Don Diego de la Vega), Jimmie Dale (The Grey Seal), The Shadow (Lamont Cranston), The Spider (Richard Wentworth), The Avenger (Richard Henry Benson), Domino Lady (an LA Socialite Ellen Patrick), The Phantom (Richard Curtis Van Loan), Night Hawk (Thurston Kyle).

Batman isn't a totally original character, as the best aspects from other characters were taken, inspired by, or "borrowed from" in order to create him. You will find that most of the Marvel and DC Comics characters were created by Jewish guys, but they borrowed from pulp magazines - so their ideas were not totally original. 

I've collected and read a lot of Batman comics, and the quality of the writing all depends on the writer...same goes with the artwork. You will find that you have favorites, and least favorites.  For artists, I like Jim Lee and Alex Ross. Paul Dini is a good writer... better than Bruce Timm 

Batman isn't very smart. All the other supers just allows him to think he's the smartest.

In the forties, Batman was often knocked out.

I'm assuming you mean the original Golden Age Batman from the 30s and 40s.

In that time, he only fought gangsters, costumed humans, and the occasional vampire. He was never prepared to fight any superpowered beings.

The original Batman (in the comics) was closer in many ways to Sherlock Holmes than to the modern incarnation, who tends to be more brutal and physical.

No, the original Batman was probably born in about 1920, so he'd have to be dead or at least very slow with his thinking

• Bill

Which original Batman? Michael Keaton? Adam West? The Batman from the 1940s comics?

The original Batman was known as the "world's greatest detective" so I would assume that means he's pretty smart.