Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

How should I deal with someone offering me a Christmas present if I don't celebrate it?

They caught me off guard, & I didn't want to come off as impolite.

say thank you for the present but I do not celebrate this but am happy to share your joy

You say thank you.

Say thank u and be grateful 

• TeeM

This may sound like an innocent act of kindness.

But from my experience it isn't always so innocent.

I have had this happen to me several times.I respond differently depending upon who is the one offering the present.Is the person a close friend or someone who has known me long enough to know I don't celebrate christmas.

Some have even strived to test me to see how deep is my belief.  Or if it is a exchange event, such as at work or at school.

Under these circumstances, I politely say no thank you.

If it is a random person, who is offering me a present, who doesn't know me, and if I probably won't see again, I accept the gift in the spirit it was given and for the event of the giving..

just thank them and if you dont want it give it to someone else

What do you mean they "offered" you one? Are you saying they gave you one?   If so, simply thank them.  If you can offer another quick comment, like they're  your fave cookies, or "this will come in hand when...", that's fine.  But do not get into your religion.   Christmas is as much about giving as receiving, and giving can be to anybody.

When someone gives you a Christmas gift, usually they are trying to show their love for you, not force their religion on you. Thank them and find ways you can show love too.

• JJ

Thank that person for the gift.  

• Liz

Yes that happened to me. You just thank them for the gift and go on. 

• David

Just say thank you and leave it at that.