Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

How do I end a friendship? ?

Me and my friend (I’m gonna call her Alyssa) have been best friends for 5 years and a half.We’ve been through a lot together and we have so many memories I’ll never forget,but for most of our friendship Alyssa and our group of friends went out without even calling me,when it used to happen when we were like 11-12 I didn’t care a lot cause we were pretty immature,but it still happens now and we’re 15,she somehow always makes up an excuse and i always forgive her and the rest.I’ve supported and had her back for our entire friendship,when she cried over a guy,when she needed me I was there,she used to come to my house and we would watch movies,make pyjama parties etc.She has also always been an opportunist,she calls you when she needs you,like yesterday,we haven’t spoken in days and suddenly she asked me to do her English exam.Since we started high school we met new friends but I’ve always tried to keep in touch with her,since she was my best friend.She also started to hang out with a person that really hurt me (I’m gonna call her Sarah),Sarah and I were in the same class in 6th and 7th grade,In that class they used to bully me and make fun of me,and she was one of them.I told Alyssa that Sarah wasn’t a really good person,but after Sarah took a car,her and Alyssa suddenly became friends.There are so many other thing I could say about her but unfortunately there’s a limit of words.I’ll probably end our friendship because I don’t want to be used anymore.How should I tell her? 

Favorite Answer

No formal announcements needed...easiest would be to stop connecting with her and be "busy" when and if she invites you to join her.  If you still wish to say something...it could be: "You know, we've been friends a long time, but we have been growing apart and I think I'd like to spend more time making new friends." Things change, don't they. And over the years, this has and will happen again. Good wishes,

• Liz

When you start to distance yourself, she may get the point. (Proverbs 18:24) "There are companions ready to crush one another, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." Your friend sounds like the companion.

• d j

You don't need to tell her. Start ignoring her. She'll get your point.

• Cogito

You don't have to tell her anything.  Just stop contacting her and if she gets in touch with you, just tell her that you're busy.

You're still very young and a lot of things change as you mature.

In a few more years she may feel differently about friends - and so may you.