Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

Pyometra survival rate in cats?

I took in a stray cat about a month ago and she has become my absolute baby. I had a vet appointment planned for next week to get her shots, spayed and chipped but I had to take her in for an emergency today. About 2 weeks ago I noticed that her belly was becoming round and I thought she was pregnant. She started having unusual discharge today so I took her to the vet where ASAP where she was diagnosed with Pyometra. Very expensive surgery but like I said she’s already my baby so I paid for it. The vet said that the surgery was a success and they cleaned her out. Her ovaries weighed a wopping 1lb poor girl. The vet said were not out of the woods yet with her so that had me worried. Is there still a chance this could kill her? I already paid so much money for this surgery and I would be devastated to lose her.  

• Eva

Now that the source of the infection is gone, she should improve. Make sure to follow their aftercare instructions. I'm assuming they sent her home on antibiotics.

• Maxi

If the vet has not kept her in, the vet feels she is through the worst and likely to be OK............ with anything like this there are always 'maybe she won't survive' but it sounds like the vet has a good idea that she will as you took immediate action and she is released back to you

Slim to none. Stupid you for waiting a MONTH and not getting her in. Then TWO WEEKS AGO you noticed her belly was round and did NOTHING.

Well it is always a life-threatening situation but chances are, as long as it hadn't pulled her down too much (good job there was a discharge, so you could see there was something wrong - some are closed pyos which means there's no discharge) she should recover with care and antibiotics.   At least she's now been spayed, so no need to worry about her becoming pregnant!   Fingers crossed she'll pull through.