Do I need a dashcam for my new car? ?

As I've been driving for 20 years and never needed one. Also, even I do the odd silly thing on the road which would mean a dashcam would go against me.   Will dashcams also attract attention/thieves ?

My father keeps saying I should get one lol 😀

• Dan B

Dash cams are a two-edged sword.  They can prove your guilt or innocense.  If the police learn of your dash cam, then can take it as evidence (usually in serious collisions) and get the video from it.  If you're injured or another person is injured, you might not have any say in the matter.  That's a legal issue.  Your car's computer might have downloadable information that the police can also use.  Some cars have that "black box" info in the car's computers.  You can dismount the camera if you have to leave the vehicle.

Get a portable dashcam. They present evidence FOR you more often than against you, unless you're just a bad driver. Drivers especially need protection against bad bicyclists and stupid reckless pedestrians. When you park, put the dashcam in your pocket. I've used dashcam evidence twice in a few years to make traffic reports simple after someone crashed into my car.

• JetDoc

You've "been driving for 20 years and never needed one". WHY would you need one now?

• Dan B

Too many other idiots on the road today that weren't there 20 years ago.

Dashcams do not affect the operation of a car. In other words, NO.

• Kenny

It's a good idea to have one.  Besides recording accidents, advanced one have motion sensors that activate the camera when someone/something gets close to your car(ie burglary or bump your parked car).  Many dashcams are glue on now, so theft is more difficult.

• Jay P

You don't NEED one but they can be handy to have, especially if someone tries to pull an insurance scam on you or you're involved in either a hit n' run collision or someone at fault tries to change their story and blame it on you...

• Dimo

Need?   No.  Is a fun toy?  Hell Yes.  Attention?  Not mine -- I have a Rexing V1 that does not hang in the windshield.  It is interesting to watch the traffic.  Every in a while I use the cam to check "Did I really see THAT?"

Been driving since '61.  No serious accidents, just fender bending a couple times (backed into a Porsche that was too low, more than $8K for tiny dents! ).

So I thought I didn't need one.  Found a $10 one at discount store, what the heck.  Will try one.

Sure enough, twice in 6 weeks someone tried to turn into my path at 35 mph.  Just barely avoided them.  Would have been useful to present video if there was question of responsibility.

• Erik

You don't really need one.  Yes, if you get in an accident that's not your fault, it could potentially come in handy.  But the odds are against it.