Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 1 month ago

Opened eyeshadow but did not use it will it go bad?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

No it's fine nothing to worry about.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No it's fine nothing to worry about.

• 1 month ago

It depends how long it's been open for and how hygienically it's been stored.

There's a guide on the packaging which shows how long the makeup lasts. It's usually a number, which is followed by either M (which stands for months) or Y (which stands for years). For example, if a makeup product has 6M written on it, then it lasts for 6 months after it's been opened.

Also know that a makeup product's life will be shortened dramatically if it's stored in hot, damp or humid conditions, or if it's been exposed to dirt or germs. You should keep the eye shadow in a dry and cool place in order to prevent this. Also, if you ever get any type of an eye infection - such as conjunctivitis or stye - then you should throw away ALL of the eye makeup you were using at the time, and throw away or VERY thoroughly wash the eye makeup brushes or sponges which were used to apply it, or the infection could return. (This same rule applies to lip makeup and lip brushes if you get a cold sore.)

Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Doesn't matter if you opened it and not used it. Expire date (6, 12.24 month) start the day you opened it.

However Unless, if you pron to skin imperfections such as acne (which you should be more hygienic with liquid and face products) OR if it's Mascara, You don't need be that worried.

Especially Powders doesn't go bad after the expire date. The only thing that might happening is that the TEXTURE will change over time. If you decide to use and notice it get a chalky hard texture on surface, just scrap it off with a knife.

But not, it will not go "bad" as in being harmful to your skin, the texture will just change and get chalky. But usually that can take years before that happening.  I've been using my eye-shadows for 10 years without any issue.

Liquid products are more pron to go bad quickly and can be harmful (infections) if they are near the eye area, or cause break outs. Lip products (unless you share them with someone who has some disease!) and powder products tends to be safest.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You can test the eyeshadow on your arm to see how it looks, If it's not cakey looking, then it's good to use I think.

• 1 month ago

Actually yes .. makeup does expire once it’s opened bacteria also accumulates in it altough I have used eyeshadow palettes that were technically expired and nothing happened but I don’t recommend it a lot of makeup will have a little picture that sais 12 m or 24 m which is the amount of months until it expires

• 1 month ago

There's nothing in eyeshadow that would make it go bad. The problem with eye makeup is when a brush touches the eye and picks up germs which are then transferred to the makeup. 

• reza
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Makeup doesn’t really go bad, especially powders. The only way I know of that makeup can go bad is if it’s supposed to be wet and it’s dried out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.