cameron_c asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 8 months ago

What is the lowest temp human skin can stand in the open air before their skin freezes off?

To be cold enough to freeze, the temperature must be below the freezing temp of water, 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celcius).

• JimZ

It depends on a lot of things.  Many years ago, I was ice fishing once in 40 below with a 40 mph wind which put the wind chill at close to a hundred below zero.  We had live bait, live minnows, which we had a heck of time keeping the ice out of the cooler they were in.  You have to break the ice that forms on the top or they suffocate but anyway, your fingers have to grab a wet fish and put it on a hook.  The trick is keeping yourself warm. If you were cold and tried it, your body would cut off the blood to your hands and you'd get frostbite very quickly.  If you keep your core warm, it is amazing how cold your exposed skin can stand but you have to be careful in those kind of cold conditions.  I wouldn't try it anymore having moved to California and just not used to the cold anymore.  40 below is really cold.  That might be my limit right now even with a warm core and no wind.  If my ears were exposed, I suspect they would get frost bit.  

What gypsyfish said.

There are more variables than temperature to deal with. Wind? Water? Exposure time?

You would get frostbite first on the ears, nose, fingers and toes. Left exposed, your arms and legs will start freezing next, with the head and abdomen last. But by then you will have already died.

Most people that freeze to death outdoors are found naked. Sometimes you see the trail of clothing they stripped off as they meander about. Hypothermia has stages, and the last is "warm and happy" just before you die.

• ?

You'd die of hypothermia before your skin froze off. 

• Bob

it depends on the windspeed.