Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 month ago

How rare is it for someone to not drink alcohol?

It seems like in today’s society everyone drinks alcohol. I turned 21 the other day and I never drink alcohol like at all not even a single sip. My friends tried to get me to drink on my 21st birthday but I refused since I don’t drink I just don’t get the appeal to alcohol. Anyways I’m just curious how often do you think is it to find people that don’t drink any alcohol at all? 

Favorite Answer

That depends on the group you're looking at. Among some religious groups, for instance, no one or hardly anyone drinks. People of some nationalities or ethnic origins tend to be more likely not to drink than others. Among my friends when I was 21, there was no one who didn't drink. Now that I'm in my 60s, I'd say half or a third of the people I know never drink and all the rest drink only very lightly. You might find a group of people my age who drink a lot more. People tend to hang around with people who enjoy the same activities. Since you're saying a drinking age of 21, I'll assume you're in the US. If you want general statistics, try googling 'percentage of non-drinkers usa'

I gave up alcohol and cigarettes,don't miss drinking but smoking

I am ancient, and I only drink wine and beer - maybe about once a month. AND I never drink to get drunk.

PS: I know lots of people who are light drinkers; and yes, when I was a single young guy, I found sober women who still liked to dance the horizontal hula with me.

There is no rarity in someone not drinking alcohol the world is full of people like that.

• Mintee

I dont.. partly due to my religion, but I tried alcohol and realized that im allergic, or real sensative to fermented things.. caused serious urinary tract infections.. so my doctor told me to just not attempt to drink, (this included things like vinegar, pickle juice etc too)

People who areTee-total? It's not especially rare, there are lots of them. I know of lots more who drink only very, very rarely - certainly not regularly.

I guess that, especially amongst younger people (and to me, anyone below forty is “younger”), most people drink but there are plenty who don't.

probably pretty rare,i dont drink alcohol either

How do you know you don't like alcohol if you've never tasted it?

I'm a high school senior and I only know one other person besides me who's never had alcohol

Generally the younger ages drink more. When I was in my 20’s I could drink a 6-pack of beer and only get a mild buzz. A sit at home watching tv week would be a case of beer and a bottle of Jack. 

(And to get super technical, many “non-alcoholic” drinks actually contain tiny amounts of alcohol like apple juice, orange juice, hamburger buns, bananas, etc., etc.)