Iamiblisdautr asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

Does trimming a cat's claws naturally get harder each time. More squirmy or need to do it more often like every week on friday?

• Ocimom

Actually if you trim the nails weekly or every other week  your cat should get more used to having the nails done.  I start kittens at 4-6 weeks old and by the time they are adults, they are fine with nail clipping.  Some don't like it as much, but I've had several cats purr when you are clipping nails.

• Maxi

I clip my cats claws as and when required and it is very easy as I have done it since she was young and don't make it stressful for her, generally while she is asleep on my knee I just have the clippers ready and do it then, most of the time she doesn't even wake up

• PAMELA

A cat's claws do not need trimming every week! every 3 months or so is fine, and if the cat goes out their claws wear down naturally, ask a vet for advice, but every week is far too much, d you cut your nails every week? of course not.

i would ask your vet this question

• keerok

If the cat has an unpleasant experience the first time, the succeeding ones will be more difficult. As to how often shouldn't change. The rate of growth of claws is more or less constant the whole year round.

• marty

It shouldn't, it's about how you go about it. If you want your cat to learn to accept the experience, you must first make sure it is never painful. Cutting too deeply and injuring the nerve inside the nail should be avoided at all costs. Pain triggers a fear response and your cat will never forget it. You also need to take your time and do just a few nails at a time. Humans tend to think of tasks as a goal to be accomplished and it is tempting to just grab your cat and hold it still while you clip the nails. This is a bad idea for many reasons. Your cat will perceive this as an attack and will immediately start to struggle. The battle will escalate to the point that your cat is in a panic that feels it's like a life or death struggle. This teaches your cat to fear you and damages your bond.

No. De-clawing is not natural.

i would ask your vet about it