My WiFi Router?

My WiFi will be working for the whole week and then next week it will randomly stop working for up to 3 days. and then it will work again for maybe 3 days and then shut off again.My cords look fine and so does my router altho i have had my router for 4 years now. What could be the problem is my router bad? Or does it have to do with the Tower and my internet provider? or something else? I have tried restarting it or unplugging cords i even rebooted it from the website but it still doesn't work. I can tell my WiFi works randomly at night some times cause ill get up in the morning with a crap load of massages and notifications but my WiFi will be basically off at this point cause it doesn't work. Yes, i have tried almost everything including changing channels. Can someone help me?

BTW sometimes it will have an explanation point by it and i don't know why?

I've outlined a bunch of things to try and help you narrow down where the problem is. 

Check to see if the vendor for your router has a software update for the router, if they do the first thing you do is upgrade the routers software to the latest and greatest.  There is a phenomena in software industry known as a memory leak, where the device doesn't let go of unused memory space.  When a memory leak occurs your device will be working fine for a period of time but eventually it uses up all the available memory storing items that it should have released (in this case things like address tables for NAT), when all the memory is consumed the router will either stop working altogether or misbehave.  Software updates "may" fix a memory leak.  

Learn how to access the network settings on your computer. First thing I try, on my PC, I release the IP address that was assigned to my computer by the router, then I try and renew it.  If the IP address doesn't renew you've likely got a problem with the router.  Software upgrade of the router may fix it (memory leak).  Try rebooting the router and see if that fixes the problem.  I would suggest that before you do this procedure that you turn off all other devices using the private side network.  You want just your PC and the router to communicate.  The reason is that the router has assigned addresses to all devices on the private side network.  When you reboot it the other devices don't know and don't release their IP addresses.  It's possible that when the router comes back up that it could assign an already in service IP address to your device - then you have an addressing conflict that will cause other problems.

Your router has a private side (the side you connect to) and the public side (the one port that connects to the Internet service provider).  Do you know the IP address for the private side?  The private side address is probably something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.  If you know how to look at the IP configuration on your PC, the default gateway address is also the private side address.

Point being, when you lose your Internet connectivity I'd try is to see if you can connect to the router via the private side IP address.  You do this by putting the private side address in the address bar on your browser, alternatively you can try pinging the private side address.  You are doing this test to make sure the router is responding.

Assuming the router is working access its management screen and find the DHCP settings.  In the DHCP settings it will show you what the public side IP address is and it will also have a listing of what private side IP addresses are that it has distributed.   

On the router, try releasing the public address and then renewing the public address.    If the IP address doesn't renew then it's likely that the router can't communicate with the service providers DHCP server.   You can try rebooting the router and rechecking this scenario immediately after the router reboots, if you still don't have a public side IP address it's possible that the service provider network is the problem.

It's unlikely that a large service provider like Spectrum or Xfinity or Verizon will have ongoing issues like you describe.  If this problem persists I'd consider getting a new router.

The vendor for the router will stop providing updates to the router software shortly after they stop selling that particular model, so even if you discover a bug in their code they may not be willing to fix it for an older router.  At that point your only choice is a new router.  I've encountered this situation with both Linksys and Netgear routers, which is why I don't buy those brands anymore.  I've had about 3 years of trouble free use from my current router (Amplifi), knocking on wood.

Good luck.

Maybe there is a virus in your device, but this is just a possibility.

Is it your Wi-Fi connection or Internet connection that fails or both? In other words, if you can still access the Internet on a PC that is plugged into Ethernet when the Wi-Fi doesn't work, does your PC still connect to the Internet? It is certainly possible that your router can start failing, especially if it is getting old. An old Belkin router I used to have would occasionally lock up and I just eventually replaced it.

If you have a modem and router as separate devices, then you'll want to check both of them to see which one is the culprit. If the modem stops working, your Wi-Fi and LAN will still work, but they won't be able to access the outside world. If your router stops working, you still have Internet access, but your devices won't be able to connect without the router. If you have an all-in-one device (usually called a gateway by your ISP) then you might need to replace the entire unit.

• Richard

If you have a separate modem and router, and the router fails, you can connect a PC by Ethernet straight to the modem and set up a connection to the Internet for that one device. The procedure can vary depending on the type of ISP connection.

• P

Something is causing it to crash.  Update it's firmware and if it continues to have problems you will need to replace it preferably with something rated AC1900 or higher.