Hard Inquiries?

I submitted an application for a personal loan with a big credit company. Why would 2 hard inquiries appear on my credit as a result of 1 application? They did it on 2 separate days, 2 days apart. I do not really understand why they would do 2 hard checks on my credit for this 1 application 2 days apart? Any explanation/advice? Should I contact the company and ask them? Is this something where I should dispute one of the inquiries being posted so I don't have 2 on my credit history for the next 2 years? Thanks for any info!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Sounds like 2 different loan companies did inquiries.  I inquired about a loan to buy a motorcycle once.  Dinged by credit by 25 pts.   

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That has never happened to me. But they are allowed to do more than one I believe.

Even accounts I have had open for years sometimes do a new credit check without notice. Its rare but it happens.

I don't think 2 from the same place 2 days apart hurts more than 1 though.

• 1 month ago

It does not matter how many hard inquiries you receive at this point, they are all treated as one.

- all loans for the same type of loan within a 15 day period, are treated as one inquiry.

this is done to allow you the opportunity to "loan shop" (i.e. talk to different lenders to find the best loan for you).

• 1 month ago

That is a common thing for some places.  I looked at a used car at a Ford dealer, and they sent if off to a bank and Ford credit which caused 2 hard hits on my credit.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.