I’ve gained 40 lbs and I’m only 20 weeks pregnant.. is this normal? Twins?

Prepregnancy I was 118-120 lbs regularly. I’ve always been leaner and I actually had abs before I conceived. I eat more than I did before pregnancy (prepregnancy I would diet at 1200 calories a day). Fast-forward to right now, where I am twenty weeks pregnant, and I have already gained 40 lbs. This is my first pregnancy. I mentioned my concern to my doctor but she stated it seems normal and I’m not showing signs of pre-clampsia. My blood pressure has changed a little bit though, but my urine test confirmed there’s no protein - so I’m clear. My stomach is huge and I began showing very early. I have my anatomy scan on December 31st and I’m really starting to think I’m having twins. I previously donated my eggs so I’ve used fertility drugs on and off five times. I conceived with Paragard. I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks, 6 weeks and 10 weeks. There has been no sign of a twin, but I’ve been reading a lot about women who had a hidden twin and found them at their anatomy scan around 20 weeks. Any thoughts?

I’m sorry! Error! I’ve gained TWENTY pounds! 20 lbs!

If it were twins it would've been picked up by now. If your doctor isn't worried than you shouldn't worry at all!

• LizB

Do you have swelling in your feet or ankles? Pre-e isn't the only hypertensive complication that can result in rapid water weight gain. This is the one I had, which was responsible for my rapid unexplained weight gain and later almost killed me: https://www.cardiomyopathy.org/peripartum-cardiomy...

If you are struggling with edema, I *highly* recommend seeing a medical massage therapist who does lymphatic massage. I did that in my second pregnancy, and not only did I not have any relapse of previous PPCM symptoms, I also gained about 10 lbs less than I did during pregnancy #1.

That's a lot of weight for 20 weeks. However at 10 week ultrasound they would have noticed I believe..

• sarah

If your doctor isn't concerned, then I don't think you should be, either.

BUT just because you're not showing signs of preeclampsia at 20 weeks doesn't mean you won't start showing them later. I had a few blood pressure fluctuations late in the first trimester and in the second trimester that my doctor just kind of brushed off (he said the reading wasn't high enough for him to be concerned). Fast forward to about week 30, my hands and feet got SUPER swollen (which is not in and of itself a symptom of preeclampsia), my blood pressure WAS high enough for concern at 33 weeks, and protein showed up in two urine tests conducted about an hour apart at week 36. I ended up being induced at 37 weeks, 2 days.

Obviously you are just gaining a lot of weight and wishing you could blame it on twins

If you were 20 weeks pregnant with twins, you'd know it.  Twenty pounds is excessive for only halfway through, but only your doctor can tell you if it's a problem for your specific pregnancy.

If you were pregnant with twins you would know by now. If your doctor isn't worried I would say that is a sign not to worry.

Some people just get bigger. I did with just one baby. Try gentle exercise.

(I discovered later that a group of friends was running a pot on how many babies there were, The one who drove me to the ultrasound won. )