Which word is correct?

Everyone in the room was humiliating him. He lost his temper and punched the (nearest / closest) man in the mouth.

Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Both are correct. It is simply a matter of choice. Nearest would be my preference.

It is obvious from the context here that you are talking about proximity. Closest can also mean the person you are most friendly with, a meaning that nearest does not have.

• San1 month agoReport

Thanks!

• 1 month ago

I would say ... nearest

• Todd
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can use either but there is a slight confusion with closest as to what is meant. Here's a brain twister for you, "He lost his temper and glared strongly at the (furthest/farthest) man in the room, though he was the (closest/nearest) to him." There are two right answers that mean completely opposite things :)

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Both are correct, but the choice is up to the speaker or writer based on her/his preference as well as what fits best in the overall context. Basically, outside of spelling, there is no meaningful difference between someone near and someone close.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Nearest" is correct because "closest" refers to emotions.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The word  'nearest' would be more appropriate than 'closet'.

• 1 month ago

I would say 'nearest'.  But that's just me.  The two words mean almost exactly the same thing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.