Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceSociology · 10 months ago

I'm uncapable to say "no" to people, how do I change?

I used to have this strong idea in my head "What you have to do in life is being a nice person, that's it! Always be kind and you're sure there is no way that that's wrong!"

So obiously I kept having problems, I didn't like my family, my friends, school, and eventually I developed a bad clinical depression. I've been suicidle throughtout all high school. Then I finally decided to put it to an end, I deleted some people from my life and I felt a lot better, but there are times when I have friends that rationally I know that I should cut away from my life, but I really can't, it's really hard for me to be mean. Also if i had to cut away from my life anyone who misbehaves I'd end up alone...

• Chanel

We meet people all throughout our lives. Some we click with and some we do not.

All you have to do is be nice but if you do not want to get involved with anybody just say "sorry but I'm in a rush" and walk on.

"incapable". Remember, "no" is a complete sentence, and requires no explanation or justification.

will you suck my dick?

Listen to the voice inside you and say "no" if that's what you want.

I'm no psychiatrist but I think the root of your problem may be a sense of rejection that was developed as a child and is now compounded by your desire to seek validation as a person from the people around you. That would certainly explain your desire to be seen as a nice person. You can still be a nice person but that doesn't mean that you have to allow people to us you or otherwise treat you like lifes doormat. There is a big difference between being an intentionally mean person and someone that does not allow themselves to be used or disrespected in some way. The truth is that saying you are incapable of doing what needs to be done to prevent people from treating you poorly is not really the problem. The fact that you believe that to be true is.