Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What do you do if someone is repeatedly talking too low In a conversation with you?

Sometimes i just nod or try to figure out if they were saying something important to not and if not just ignore what they said.

Don't wanna keep asking them to speak up more than once.

• Favorite Answer

Repeat back what you thought they said, but get it wrong, as people do with song lyrics.  For example if they said 'There's a bad moon on the rise', repeat back to them 'There's a bathroom on the right?'.  They'll repeat it louder because they'll want to correct you.

just tell them you cant hear them

• RP

You might try telling them you're having difficulty hearing. That way it shifts responsibility for the problem from them to you and it may be more successful in getting them to speak louder or more clearly.

• Ben

Run away.......

• Cogito

I say, as many times as I have to, that I really cannot hear them and would they please speak louder.

Smack them upside their head and say "speak up" 

Source(s): Happens with grandma all the time
  • Chris

What is annoying to me is when a mumbler is asked to repeat something, but then makes no effort to enunciate.

• Jerry

"Can you say that in different words?" is how I deal with mumblers. Yes, it's annoying to say "I don't understand" only to have the unintelligible mumble repeated.