Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 1 month ago

bowlegged knee pain?

I am 15 years old and I run long distance, but my knees have been hurting. before 2 weeks ago Ive run 5-6 days a week for 2 months- but before that never. My kneecaps do not hurt, the pain is in a corner of the knee that faces in towards the other knee. Both knees hurt in this very small, specific area, so I have a feeling its because of the way I am running.

I havnt ran but in my average day I walk a lot and use a lot of stairs, something I cant control and I feel is tremendously slowing down my recovery. 

So my questions:

1. hot or cold? or neither, because neither seem to have helped

2. do compressions help reduce the pressure put on knees when walking / using stairs?

3. i ran yesterday despite the pain and during the workout felt little-no pain at all (other than lack of stamina due to my 2 weeks off). today i felt the side effect and it hurt, but after i ran a bit to test my knees the pain went away? why? also, running on the balls of my feet seem to make the pain go away as well- but it always returns later.

the pain comes and goes throughout the day, at some point it could feel perfect but at worst case scenario i am literally unable to bend the knee without stress (for about 10 mins today after having sat still for an hour)

i hope this made sense and was enough information, thank you

Favorite Answer

1. Cold compress, but only for short periods (<10 minutes) in the morning, after running and at night.

2. No.

3. It sounds like it might be due to your stride and possibly your shoes.

Consider am OTC NSAID (over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammation drug) to inhibit the pain (due to the inflammation). 

Go to physio or talk to an orthopaedic surgeon

I see no question posed in this TL;DR

What is Bowlegs?

Bowlegs is a condition in which a person's legs appear stretched out, meaning that their knees are far apart, even when their ankles are together. Bowlegs is also known as the innate Genu Varum.

Causes of Bowlegs:

1.Blount disease

2. Rickets

3.Paget disease

4. Dwarfism

Treatment of Bowlegs:

1. special shoes

2. Suspenders

3.casts

4. Surgical intervention to correct bone abnormalities

5. Treatment of diseases or conditions that cause bowlegs

I am not an expert. BUT there's a book about stressed muscles and referred pain that' s been very helpful to me. If you have a stressed muscle, sometimes you can find it- not necessarily at the point where your feel pain- and find the muscle that is stressed- it can feel like a metal wire. Pressure on it relieves the pain. The same theory underlies accupressure , and you may be able to find someone who does that kind of massage, or accupuncture. 

Not a question.