Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 months ago

As a recovering drug addict, people still don't trust me, how long do I have to be clean for people to trust me again?

i've been clean for 4 months now. People still don't trust me. I think about using all the time, but i don't want to hurt anyone anymore. i did some messed up things- i stole from people who cared about me.

I've apologized & yet nobody will trust me. Nobody will lend me money to help cover rent. It's like they don't believe me anymore

how long do i have to wait for people to trust me again? How long do I have to be clean to prove to people i'm not that person anymore?

When i ge more money i promise everyone i took advantage of that i'd do right, i'm gonna give them all the money back i owe them plus some. 

i just need to get back on my feet & need some help & i just want someone to believe me because i'm trying. i promise them i'll give them back everything i owe and i'll give extra once i have a stable job

It depends. It's different for rveryone. Concentrate on doing the right thing and stop worrying about how long it will take other people to trust you again. What's done is done and just work on being a better you.

• Rico

It’s called earning trust for a reason, you have to work for it.  

For the people you hurt, and stole from it’s not about getting compensated for what was taken. It’s about knowing you’re doing what you said you would with what they give you.

You need to ask this question directly to the people whom you want to trust you again. Nobody on YA knows how they feel.

it might take time, after a while they might trust you again

A hell of a lot longer than 4 months, kid. Forever.

• Jerry

Years.

Like years of NOT expecting people to trust you, of realizing it's highly unreasonable of you even ask people to lend you money. 

Promise the moon if you want, but talk is cheap. It takes years of being "the new you" before people will accept that you have really changed, that you're not just temporarily on the wagon ... again. 

Stop asking people to do things for you and instead focus on doing things for them. Nothing says "I'm sincere" like "Sure, I'll be happy to come over Saturday and Sunday to help you" do some difficult job. Nothing says "Same old mooching druggie" like asking people to sacrifice for your sake. 

• geezer

The worrying thing about what you've written is the

''lend me money to cover the rent'' bit.

People will trust you when you've got yourself back

on your feet.

For me, it would be about 12 years.

< i stole from people who cared about me >

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.