How do I name my baby boy after someone, when my step-son & his wife had a number of children & have used up all my husband's family names?

My stepson is named after his father, he named his oldest son after himself & his father

Then he named his other 3 sons after my 3 brother in laws. They said this time they are having twin girls and they are planning on naming them after my mother in law (his grandmother) and my husband's ex

But in the meantime my stepson has 4 sons already and they are expecting twin girls

How do I handle their disrespect of me and my husband.

My husband seems to be okay with the idea of twin granddaughters, but doesn't like the idea that one of the twin girls is going to be named after his ex-wife.

My husband is wondering how we should handle this situation too.

@Christian, it all boils down to tradition. My stepson does the family tree which was handed down to him, by his grandmother (my mother inlaw). My stepson won't let me see any of the first and middle names, because he wants to use them first, then make a copy of the documents for us. He also has the family bible, which we should have to begin with, but again my mother in law gave that to him too.

• Jane

Is your husband's ex wife the mother of your stepson? If so then it is not surprising that he would like to use her name and that of his grandmother. 

Does this come down to a feeling of rejection towards you as you are not his birth mother, and you would very much like to be acknowledged by him as part of the family. That the naming choice would make you feel more accepted by him?

So I may be way off the mark- but if not, I would say that while I understand your feelings, being a step parent is a difficult role for anyone, that can arise on all sorts of levels and it is very important to avoid feelings of personal rejection that will only end up causing a further rift and terrible bitterness between you.

Try to enjoy and celebrate the family you have chosen to join, and focus on spending time with your beautiful grandchildren.

• Edna

Just pick a name that you like. You don't have to name your baby after anybody in your family.

• Cathy

I suggest you name him Donald Trump (Smith)

• blank

If that is your step sons Mom then he should leave it alone.

• Kevin

Nothing stopping you naming your son after someone. Plenty of uncles, nephews, cousins, grandchildren etc have the same names

Uh huh.  Your stepson wants to name his daughter after his grandmother and mother, and you think this is disrespectful.  Are you 8?

have your kids spayed and neutered

• PR

It sounds like both your families are very steeped in tradition, in naming after a family member. Why not break that tradition and give your son a name of his own? Perhaps you could use someone's name for his middle name.

Another possibility is to use a variant of a family member's name such as:

John: Jon; Jonathan; Jack; Ian; Giovanni; Evan; Keon.

Combine names: John and David: Javin

Use a name no family member has used before (but DO NOT divulge it before the birth or you may lose it) such as Kalen/Kaden, Liam, Carson, Aden, Yale, Vaughn, Vance, Grayson, Theo.

Maybe it is time to start a new tradition. 

In regards to your family tree, you should be able to look that up online through public docs.

But, maybe this name thing is causing stress, when your could choose from 1,000's of wonderful names and have no one controlling it, but you.

Why do they need to be named after someone? Let them be their own person.

wow the men in your family is the equivalent to someone doing nothing in a group project but taking all the credit