Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

School shootings-nothing’s the same. ?

For being a college student and experiencing a school shooting lockdown is hard for me to even feel comfortable on campus without constantly worrying about the nearest exit and my surroundings.

I know I can do online, I’m just a very visual hands on learner and student where I need to attend class. 

I get mass shootings happen everywhere and there’s nothing we can do to really stop it, at all. I’m just not knowing where to go from here as far as being scared all the time and anxious. 

• Carmen

Your feelings are warranted unfortunately we live in critical hard times where many people no longer show any natural affection toward others pray for a calm heart and peace of mind and pray for courage and endurance until God steps in and fix all our problems and injustices. 

That's what these lockdowns cause.

Many are not true.

You can get shot anywhere.

The school makes no difference.

This is the injury such behaviors inflicts. Maybe some day we'll get serious and come down hard on this issue. We could - you say there is nothing we could do - not so. We could stop playing with metal detectors and get into the psychology of why people do this and take action to reduce the things that cause people to end up in that emotional end-of-the-line mental state. None of it is a mystery - simple psychology.

School related mass shootings are less of a danger to an individual than being hurt or killed by a car / in a car accident. But you do not hear this because car dealerships pay big bucks to advertise and the media will not bite the hand that feeds them. Other mass shootings can happen anywhere, but so can individual shootings. Do not drink the kool-aid of media induced fear.

Stop being afraid. Chances are it'll never happen to you.

• Matt

Being aware of your surroundings and knowing where you exits are is not something I'd call being scared or anxious. I'd call that good situational awareness. 

I get nervous in large crowds where I can't easily discern who is around me and I also like knowing where exits are. I'd rather be what you described than completely oblivious.

As far as where to go, I'd say fine tune you're awareness, so it's not all you think about. I practice active listening when I'm in the mall, where ever you go there is a constant noise level, a hum if you will, and i cue in on any changes to the volume of that constant noise whether it be an increase or decrease in volume.