Lv 6

Is there a term for words that are joined like eMail, eBay , PayPal, etc.?

4 Answers

  • 9 months ago
    Favourite answer

    eBay and PayPal are not words. They are trademarked names and as such, are proper nouns. eMail is an incorrect spelling. It's email. Originally, it was e-mail, with a hyphen, the 'e' being a shortening of 'electronic'. Over time, the hyphen has been mostly dropped, though you occasionally still see it.

  • 10 months ago

    slang, or the French portmanteau

  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

    Compound words are formed when two or more words are joined together to create a new word that has an entirely new meaning.

  • 10 months ago

    New words made by adding parts of words to create a single term are most commonly called "blends" or "blended words." Common ones are hotel (motor hotel) and infotainment (information and entertainment). They are also portmanteaus or portmanteau words, but that term is increasingly used for joined words with humorous effect, like bridezilla and mockumentary.

    When you join whole words to create a single term, they're compounds, like website, schoolboy, or gunplay.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.