I work in a call center and notice that in the south the say Merry Christmas and in the north it's Happy Holidays. Why do you think that is?

• Sally

I don't know, but I think it's nice whenever anyone wishes me well, no matter what words they choose.

North understands that some people are not Christian and do not celebrate the birth of Christ(which is totally WRONG, but they should still be respected) so they greet the Chritmas season in a religiously neutral way. The south is mostly founded on religion(historically) and recognize Christianity better(demographically)

There are more liberals (terrified of offending an minority and not caring about offending the majority) in the North.

And more conservatives and religious people in the south, who understand that acceptance works both directions.   

• Lee

North of the wall?

less religiously focused in the north...

Atheist

I live in the  north... they say both. Both have been in use a long time, and both were never a problem until some entitled people decided to get butthurt over "Happy Holidays."

Put simply, Democrats are at war with Christmas.

• james1 month agoReport

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's split

• Rayal

In the South the predominant faith is Christianity.

In the North and big cities the calling base is more diverse. 

There could be Jews, Muslims, or "other" on the line. 

I don't care which they use or say.  It is only a polite seasonal greeting either way.  My towns Christmas decorations all say "Happy Holidays" and no one is offended by it. 

• I am a conservative southern atheist who says Merry Christmas