How can I get POA from someone who lives in VA if I live in TX?

I want my mom to sell my car in VA while I still live in TX. I thought I could get a TX POA (power of attorney), but it says she, the agent, has to be in TX too. What type of POA do I need for someone to make decisions for me in another state? TY

Any attorney should be able to draw one up.

A POA IS NOT state specific. You need a document that says YOU grant HER power to act on your behalf to sell the vehicle in question. Have a Notary Public witness your signing the document and mail it to her. It is legally valid EVERYWHERE in the US, regardless on where either of you are physically located.

• Morningfox

The POA could say that it's valid only on Fridays in Smallville, Iowa, if that's what you want.

Just sign and notarize the title over to her

I see no need for a POA.  Sign the vehicle over to her.  She then sells it as your agent.

That's what I did.

• STEVEN F

If you sign the vehicle over to her, she sells it as OWNER, not as anyone's agent.

Every POA should be custom written for the situation. It seems like you need a POA that will be accepted in VA. Maybe you need a lawyer to help you with this.  Or maybe all you need is the same words as the TX POA, except without the part about the agent being in TX.

any attorney in VA can draw up a PoA that will be effective even though you are in Texas. You merely have to have it notarized where you are.

• STEVEN F

Any pre-law student in ANY state can draw up a POA that is valid EVERYWHERE in the US. At age 25, with ZERO legal training, I drew up a POA that is valid everywhere in the US 24 years later.

You don't need a POA for this.  Just decide with your mother how the car is to be sold (dealer or Craigslist) and then let her handle the sale.  If you want to be involved in the price decision, be at the end of the phone.  Get her to send you the title, sign the back and return once the sale is agreed.  She needs to take off your plates and hand them into DMV and get a receipt.

If you do not use a dealer, be sure not to let the new owner take the car until it has been replated.  The handoff can take place at the DMV.  That is important otherwise new owner can drive around collecting tickets on your plates pretty much for ever.