Some say they are Christian--believe in Jesus--but not the Bible. Is this valid?

This is not to pick on Christians. Sincere question.

All answers welcome.

Thoughtful answer BA.

Update:

Thought prompt: How does the world know of Jesus?

Update 2:

My own analysis: The Bible and Christianity are bound together. One cannot profess to be Christian without the book that informed the world of Christ. While it is true there are "cafeteria Christians" who pick & choose the parts of the Bible to believe, for this question the Bible is necessary. Will use this QA for reference the next time this issue arises.

Everyone has Best Answer! :D

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Thank you for the sincere question.

Tell me how does anyone know about Jesus.  The Bible.  Whether you read it yourself or someone tells it to you, It is the bible. If you aren't going to believe in the bible how are you going to believe in Jesus.  And Since Jesus obviously believed in the bible and quoted it often, how can you believe in Jesus and not the word of God

What they really are saying is I want all the good stuff about Jesus, but none of the hard parts

• ...Show all comments
    • Duck
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Actually, Jesus is a major prophet in Islam, so people can learn about him through the Q’ran.

• 1 month ago

That is not possible. The Bible and Jesus is connected together. In the Old Testament, the prophecies foretells the "coming of the Messiah", Jesus "the Christ"; in the New Testament, the prophecy is fulfilled and tells of Jesus' life, teachings and mission which is to set us an example on how to worship God the right way, God's way, not our way ("pick & choose").

"How does the world know of Jesus?" I suggest you read the Acts which has the events of what happened after Jesus went up into Heaven.

May your sincerity of trying to understand, lead you to Jesus, Who is " the Way, the Truth and the Life" (John 14:6). God bless you!

"Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ."

--- St. Jerome

• 1 month ago

Since we are all sinners we all think to hide from God, as Adam did.

People make up many ways of doing this

Saying they are Christians but not seeking Him through and according to His word the Bible is merely one way of doing that, don't you think?

How about you? What is your way of hiding from God?

• 1 month ago

No, it's idiocy.  Without the Bible, we know nothing about Jesus.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sorry, I've never heard that from any Christian. I DO know Christians with limited faith who have a hard time with some of the Old Testament stories but that's all.

• 1 month ago

Mainstream Christianity does NOT believe what the Bible says. The Trinity; once saved, always saved; the heresy that we can be saved in our sins; heaven vs. hell; and many other mainstream beliefs go contrary to what the Bible actually says.

The people who believe in Jesus but not the Bible are misled. It's the Bible that tells us about Jesus Christ. So does The Book of Mormon. Are they going to read and study it? Hardly likely.

• 1 month ago

If you do not believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God then you can not be a Christian.Everything hinges on the accuracy of the Bible.

• Duck
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

God is the only one who decides who is Christian.  It is the height of hubris to try and put yourself in His shoes and pass judgement.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If "believing in Jesus" means believing He existed, 99% of the world's people do that. However, true belief in Jesus means acceptance of His teaching, and living our lives asa He calls us to live. That teaching is available from two authoritative sources - the one Church He founded, to which He promised the fullness of God's truth until the end of time; and, the book that one Church compiled from its own writings (and early Jewish writings), which reveals a great del of truth when subject to accurate and authoritative interpretation.

• Rufus T. Firefly
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Thank you. Very thoughtful answer. Can you clarify if the Church he founded is founded upon the BIble? Ergo, the Bible is still the authority on believing in Christ Jesus?

• Pretty much the only record we have that even states he existed is the Bible. And most Christians don't even consider the majority of it to be legitimate. So even the ones who don't say that they reject the Bible, reject huge portions of it.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

It's not something I've ever heard said.

It makes as much sense to me as those that say they are Christian but not religious (which I have heard said many times)..

As thoughtful as I get.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.