Jarvis asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

If a dog’s owner is someone you know and the dog displays a friendly temperament, do you still need to ask permission to pet the dog?

Service dogs are not related to the question 

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

Well it depends. Are you friends with this person, or do you JUST know each other? If you're friends, and you've known the dog for a while, it'd probably be fine to pet it. It all depends though on the owner's personality. When I had friends, I was fine with any of them just walking up and petting my dog without asking, but that's just me.

• 10 months ago

I would still ask regardless...I am constantly training my dogs out in public with or without friends. If they bumped into me and just randomly pet my dog I wouldn't freak out but I would tell them they should ask because that is disrupting the training...Basically regardless if you guys have been friends for months or years I'd still ask because even if the dog doesn't look like person is working with them they probably are. 

• 10 months ago

It depends on if the dog approaches you first

• 10 months ago

I wouldn't think so. Especially if the owner isn't trying to pull the dog away. I pet automatically. If a dog is out in the public without a muzzle, I just figure it is fine to pet. Part of socializing a dog.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Yes always ask permission .

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

The first time?   Yes.

Once you KNOW the owner is fine with you petting the dog, it would be a bit silly to ask every single time.

ETA:   Ha!  You are probably right.   Written consent form...the new and improved prophylactic. 

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

No, it's not necessary at all. 

• al
    Lv 5
    10 months ago

Yes, it would be in your best interest!

• 10 months ago

Yes you do need to ask permission to pet the dog. 

• David
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Of course you do. A dog's temperament can change depending on the circumstance. It's always best to talk to the owner first.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.