Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Do you agree that women who falsely accuse men of rape are victims of the patriarchy and should not be prosecuted?

As feminist scholar Patricia O’Brien writes, women should never be sent to jail for anything, and women’s prisons should be closed. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Right, because females never break the law....

• Elana
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Obviously and inarguably the more time and effort you spend differentiating how you treat the genders, the more you discredit the idea of their equality.

I think men and women should be treated pretty much equally (of course there are exceptions), and certainly I believe we should consider them equally responsible for their crimes.

I personally believe that jail time is nowhere near as effective a deterrent as we'd like to think it is, that it ends up being a taxation funded "three hots and a cot" in combination with being a great place for criminals to network and teach each other, but - if we're going to change to other methods of handling crimes, we should do it for women *AND* men.

Yes, I believe rehab can be far more powerful than incarceration.  No, I don't believe women need rehab while men need jail and execution.  That is inarguably sexist.

• 1 month ago

Obviously feminists are wrong in this as in everything else.  She represents the worst of feminism and why it is a movement that has nothing to offer women or the world at large.  Once women were seen as children.  Responsible for nothing.  We fought to give women the right to have responsibility and to make decisions.  These twits would destroy that.

Now if I wish to address the specifics of the article.  We have affirmative action in other areas where women are UNDERREPRESENTED. If that argument applied to prisons then we are being far too soft on women.  The system is not designed to favour men. It is designed to favour women.  To redress the inequity we need affirmative action to INCREASE the number of women in prison.  Using the same logic as which causes us to actively try to increase the number of women in other areas.  To claim that women are being mistreated because the prison system is designed for men is absurd.  In general women's prisons are not as harsh as their male counterparts. We have pandered in trying to make it easier for women. Rather than expecting women to have to suffer the same as men do.  In fact the entire article is an example of prejudice in the face of evidence of the contrary.  What else could one expect of a feminist though?

• sian
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I agree with that. Women are treated badly enough without being sent to jail too.

• ...Show all comments
    • Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Really?  I have never seen any evidence consistent with your claim.  Conscription?  No.  Women and children first? Yes.  Men must fight and die to protect their women?  Yes.  And so on.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Patricia O’Brien is not only a respected feminist author, but a professor.  She has well thought out reasons why men who commit crimes should be imprisoned but women who do should not.  Women who commit crimes are victims of the patriarchy.   

• ...Show all comments
    • Andrew Smith
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Indeed any institution that employed such a bigoted and prejudiced person as a professor has degraded itself seriously.  Professors are supposed to work on facts not a mish mash of personal unsubstantiable opinions.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I can't read that article due to some popup that I couldn't be bothered to read. In any case, the patriarchy was actually easy on women when it came to crime, while oddly enough since feminism became the dominate force women have been going to prison more often. 

In a way you could say her idea is actually a throw back to the way it was before feminism where female crime was ignored leaving women free to commit crimes without much of any punishment. 

• 1 month ago

"Do you agree that women who falsely accuse men of rape are victims of the patriarchy and should not be prosecuted?"

Nope.  The "Patriarchy" is feminist conspiracy theory.  But someone dragged through false rape accusations risks forever having their reputation ruined at the minimum, to suffering a loss of freedom by being sentenced to jail or worse, as the norm.

We don't punish people who break fairy-tale crimes like we did in the day's of the Salem witch trials, so we should not begin that again by pointing to some mythical "Patriarchy" that is unquantifiable, and not scientifically verifiable.  But we should penalize someone who goes out of their way to cause harm to another human being by their very deceitful actions of falsely charging another person of rape.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That would be a big improvement and strive for justice

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, the patriarchy needs to be combated

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That is a very good idea

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.