Anonymous

My former boss keeps contacting me to come back. What do I do?

I left my last job a couple of months ago because my boss was such a jerk. I worked so hard and so many hours and he just yelled at me everyday and criticized me. So I couldn’t take it anymore and just quit one day and go another job. I didn’t want to vent to him and tell him I quit because he’s a jerk. So I told him I quit due to personal matters. 

Well over the past week, my boss has been contacting me to come back. First he emails me on my personal email, which he had on file when I applied for the job several years back. But I ignored him and now he’s texting and calling me on my personal cell phone. I’m continuing to ignore him but I’m afraid that’s not a good idea as I might need him for reference in the future. At the same time, if I respond, he’ll know that I’m easily reachable and might continue to harass me.

What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Respond once, to tell him politely, but firmly, that you are not going to come back.

• Cathy

Tell him you will come back if he pays you under the table so that you do not have to pay taxes

Source(s): Donald Trump
  • Katie

Report him to the HR Department for harassment - remind them you left a few months ago and he is trying to bully you into returning.

If he can give you a super fat raise and a cushy job, go back. if not, ask him to leave you alone and threaten with a restraining order

If you are interested in coming back ask what he would be willing to raise your pay to

If you are not, tell him no.  If he asks why not tell him.

Send him an email telling him to stop contacting you.  If he doesn't, see a lawyer and get a restraining order.

• Snoopy

Me too I had a bad exp today as I've noticed many people got fired today for no reason as well on here... what a coincidence and I was contacted yesterday by a former employer who treated me just the same. 

In my case a judge advised I shouldn't be contacted by the former employer due to the harassment I had experienced the short time I had worked there like yourself so I would just email the former employer back and say look I'm not happy with your emails and they cause me a lot of stress. 

If he was a jerk the last thing you want is him as a reference. Unless he realised he made a mistake but I'd be skeptical in some situations... 

Just choose ONE method to answer him.   "Thank you, but I'm happy where I am now."

You're worried that he will keep bothering you if you say NO, so your solution is to keep him hanging by not saying anything at all? 

I swear I wonder how some people are able to put on their own pants.

By the way, he is NOT harassing you.   It's called COMMUNICATION...something us adults find helpful here in Adultville. 

Snowflake of the Day award winner.

2 words is just too much for you that you need to ask strangers?  No Thanks never came to your mind?

• WiseMan2 months agoReport

Well by saying no thanks. I’m afraid it will tell my boss that I’m responsive to that email address or phone number and thus may end up contacting me again in the future.

Take his phone call, tell him you're currently employed and can't squeeze another job in.

Tell him you CAN come back at double your old salary though, that you'd consider it.

• WiseMan2 months agoReport

No salary in the world would make me come back. I kid you not when I say he was very abusive where he would yell at me everyday, criticize how bad my work is and bang on his desk.