Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 8 months ago

Exercise!?

So I really want to start running but I don't know where to put everything.

Like how would I carry my phone, a water bottle and anything else I may need??

Also any tips for running would be appreciated!

• Adam D

Unless you're running longer than 45 minutes or so, or running in very hot weather, you don't need a water bottle.  Even then, if your hydration level throughout the day is good, you may not need water during a run unless you're getting out past 1 hour.  If you're a complete beginner, you're a long way from such things.

You can buy an armband that holds your phone and keys for about $10.

• .

Some shorts/leggings have pockets that will fit a phone. Some people wear their phone in a case on their arm, or wear a belt (there are various brands) around their waist that will hold small items like a phone, keys, etc). 

Water bottle can be carried in your hand OR you can buy a handheld (there are various brands) that comes with a bottle in a type of 'harness' that slips over your hand so it stays with you (but you don't have to grip it). Those types of handhelds often also have a small zipper pocket for keys or gels. There are also belts that hold small water bottles so you can wear your water around your waist. Personally, I either carry a handheld or I run laps around my neighborhood and stash bottles of water in my mailbox, so I can stop and drink as needed, as I pass my house (esp short runs).

Plenty of people don't carry their phone or water when they run, so what you carry is up to you. If you run a route where there are water fountains and/or places you can get a drink of water, there's no need to carry. Short runs or runs under an hour, don't typically require you to drink unless you sweat a lot or it's quite hot out. 

Tips for running? Not sure what kind of tips you are seeking. Since it appears you've not run before, I suggest you seek out a local running group and talk to some of the members. They can answer your questions in real time and perhaps even point you to a local Couch to 5K program to get you started on your running path (the right way). ☺

• Wilson

You don't really need a bunch of things when you run. 

As far as your iPhone, you can get an arm strap or a waist strap to hold it, 

As far as your water bottle. You can just hold that in one of your hands.