Anonymous

How can I stop worrying about what my boss thinks of me?

I work a retail job that I really like and the customers are definitely the best part. I love helping them and they love how I work with them. My coworkers have all told me I'm good at what I do and I think I am too. However, I worry about what my boss thinks of me. She's usually very nice to me and I understand she's under a lot of stress but I worry that at some point she will have an issue about how I work or I'll screw something up badly and I won't be able to work this job anymore. I get nervous when working with her but luckily usually I only work with her like 3 hours at a time a couple times a week. What are some ways for me not to worry about her being around or judging me?

• Alex

Think of it in terms of how you are going to be measured.  It is very difficult for retail establishments to get quality people who are willing to stay long term.  Things that management has to deal with on a daily basis are:

Employees not showing up for their shift (or not showing up on time)

Employees being lazy and not doing any work

Employees being rude to the customers

Employees stealing

Employees costing the company money by undercharging, damaging merchandise, etc.

Employees being intoxicated during their shift

If you're not doing these things, then you are a rock solid employee.  So rather than worrying about what your boss may or may not think of you, think about how you compare to people who may cause your boss real grief. 

It may take time for you to stop worrying about what your boss thinks of you.

• y

Time, that is all it takes. Your boss is just a person, she has up and down days, mood swings and all that jazz. She is just another person in a long line of big fish in little ponds. If she kicks you out of your pond, there are hundreds more, a dime a dozen.

Just focus on doing your job.

Who cares what others think of you? Live happily.