Why does his aunt keep asking when am I going to have another child?

She's nice but whenever we meet. She will ask "Are you going to have a baby girl?" or "When are you going to have girl for B to play with"

I replied to her "Not sure yet/ maybe not." She still asks this type of question often when we see her. It does make me feel something I don't know.

• Jerry
    Favorite Answer

Here's a polite way to say "Stop asking me this."

First occurrence: "You don't need to keep asking me this. If there's any news, we'll be sure to let you know."

Subsequent occurrences: "Like I said last time you asked, you don't need to keep asking me this. If there's any news, we'll be sure to let you know."

That second one, that a polite to say "You're being a pest."

If this continues beyond another few dozen times, you might have to ask the awkward question "Do you realize that you ask me this every time you see me? I don't know what more I can do for you than promise to let you know if there's any news. Please don't keep asking." 

If there are still further occurrences, it's OK to do the teenage girl eye roll and say "Same answer as last time. Isn't this weather wonderful/terrible?" 

Yes, it takes patience but it's best to give people a chance to back down on an annoying behavior before you retaliate with awkward questions, with exasperated responses. 

• PAMELA

So tell her to mind her own business, say that is personal and no body's business.

People always get nosy with other peoples lives. Turn the question and ask her about something that could annoy her. Does she have kids? ask about their kids "when is cousin x having another kid?" "do you still see your ex husband" etc.

• RP

Maybe she's one of those who believes no one should be an only child. Short of asking her directly why it matters to her, if not why it is any of her business, you'll either learn to tolerate it or keep ignoring her.

I'm with the others.   This is odious.  The problem is, there are ways to shut it down, but it's hard to do that without making it clear the question bothers you.  With stuff like this, I love using a question as an answer.   You remain polite, but it backs her into a corner. 

Aunt:  When are you getting pregnant?

You:   Why do you keep asking?

Aunt:  (she'll blather something pointless, like "I'm curious" or whatever)

You:  I get that, but why do you keep asking?

Stay low key, but be persistent.  She'll get the message, because she will start looking like a fool (which she is). 

• sarah

Personally, I don't understand why ANYONE asks this question, and it drives me absolutely crazy. I have a seven-month-old girl and am already getting the "time for a boy!!" nonsense.

I've gotten to the point where I politely (read:  in a sickly sweet, sarcastic way) respond by asking them whether they are planning to pay my doctor bills. When they obviously say no, I then point out that I see no other reason for my reproductive timeline to matter to them and put an end to the conversation.

Alternatively, you could just ask them when the next time they plan on having sex is...and when they get flustered/offended, point out that they just asked you the same question, so it's only fair that they have to respond, too.And if you REALLY feel like being a ***** (let's face it, we all feel like that sometimes, and after either pushing a kid out of your hoo-hah or having your stomach sliced open, PLUS enduring sleepless nights and all that jazz, I think we deserve it), ask her what exactly you're supposed to do if the baby isn't a girl. I've done this with people who ask me when I'm having a boy, and it's so much fun to watch them try to come up with something intelligent to say.Sadly, you sometimes have to be a little rude to get the message across that you're irritated.

I have been known to say, "If I get pregnant again you'll be the first person I call" and then walk away.

It's weird that some people imagine this to be an appropriate question to ask anyone, irrelevant of whether you have children already or not.

Tell her it's none of her business... or some politer variant if required.

It makes you feel something you don't know? How do you think it makes us feel? What in the hail is she talking about? How about when he decides to give me another one. And when he comes to you and says Auntie said we are going to have a baby when I want to and you look at him and say, ARE YOU CRAZY. I never knew anything about this till yesterday I saw where a woman posted about something and when I looked it up her muscles in the front had actually split apart and she more or less had a big hernia that came through the opening. 

• Ace Shorty

stomach muscles had split apart and she had what looked like a big hernia there from getting pregnant. I don't know why that got cut off.

Maybe she just doesn't know what else to say. Be patient with her. 

• sarah

Lol, there is ALWAYS something else to say. Talk about the weather, talk about what you had for dinner last night, talk about where you see yourself in five years. There is no excuse for repeated personal questions, especially when the person you're asking is obviously uncomfortable.

Because she's rude and inconsiderate.

Next time she asks flat out tell her that it's none of her business when or if you are going to have another child. Her behavior is intrusive and uncalled for. If need be, get your husband involved (or boyfriend if you're not married to him) and let it be known his aunt needs to back off.