How do you explain(or defend) being a vegan to those who don't understand?

Hi, I'm newly vegan(about a year) and I find myself compromising a lot when faced with people that don't understand veganism. For example my Grandfather is completely confused by the idea of not consuming meat, and recently we stayed with family friends that are Italian who totally disagree with the diet choice. I just need a good way to navigate the lifestyle because, I'm not quitting!

• Louis
    Favorite Answer

You already got some good answers. 

A lot of the time you just can't. And for various reasons. 

These guys put together a short Guide that is worth reading. 

https://chooseveg.com/blog/heres-how-to-have-a-con...

I also like Melanie Joy's advice. I'll link a video of hers below. It's an hour long but it is great. 

You dont

You keep your mouth shut and don't spread your silly propaganda and lies 

as you probably came to veganism with many things in mind, try and pull what is most relevant to the person you're talking to.

for example, if your grandfather is a big animals guy, explain it through the lens of not wanting to harm animals. if he's had health problems, explain it through the health benefits you may receive.

for the family, i can see them being anxious that they can't provide hospitality and may see it as insulting-- be sure to communicate your appreciation first and foremost, while reiterating that this is a personal choice you are sticking to because of XYZ-- they don't need to approve or understand it, they just need to respect your choice.

• Dimo

You  can not. 

The healthiest diet is omnivore. 

Animals are not human being and thus cannot be murdered. 

Animals are not being abuse and/or tortured -- because abused animals bring less money.

Destroying the earth?  Hell!  That is just from having too many people.

Considering being vegan is not the diet humans were designed for it only makes sense that you would be expected to explain this abnormal behavior.

• Laurie

“You’re right. It can be difficult to understand. I just feel so much better when I avoid eating animal products. I don’t expect anyone else to eat the way I eat, but it works for me.”

• Silver

Do they understand vegetarianism?

In a sentence, just say you don't eat animals or anything made from/by animals. You'll have to add the reason WHY.

To really stay true, you might have to stay totally responsible for yourself the way someone with severe allergies would, pack your own sandwich while everyone else is eating the meal prepared... yeah. Otherwise, you'll just have to check ahead every time and ask if dinner could be vegetarian, Chinese veggie fried rice, Indian food is like half vegan, etc. Now, avoiding the eggs, milk, etc is harder depending on the cuisine, and desserts I would only have if someone explicitly says they're vegan.

• Tyler

Well the most important thing is being able to explain it to yourself. Why are you vegan? Is it because of the general animal cruelty associated with factory farming, that you believe animals should not be utilized by humans in this way at all, that there are severe environmental consequences associated with large scale animal farming, that a no meat diet is better for your health? why vegan vs vegetarian or pescatarian or just eating locally produced animal products? 

I am not vegan, but I do restrict the kinds of meat that I consume. I do it mainly for health and environmental reasons. when you explain it to someone you need to tell them why you are passionate about it and also deliver it in a way that they are receptive to. you probably have more than one reason, so you should focus on a reason that your family might understand, like a health conscious family member might care more about reduced saturated fat and cholesterol intake, and increasing fiber, than they would about reducing co2 emissions from brazil. 

If you have reasons but cant explain them/articulate them very well. ask again with a more specific question.