Taylor asked in PetsReptiles · 2 months ago

What bedding can I use to incubate snake eggs?

What can I use other than vermeculite and the other obvious bedding for the snake eggs? Can I use damp paper towels to incubate them? Or moss of some sort?? 

Favorite Answer

Paper towels will dry up too quickly. Vermiculite is inexpensive, and it holds a LOT of water without being acidic, unlike peat moss. The biggest threat to snake eggs, besides insects, and excessive heat, is lack of moisture. Snake eggs are not like bird eggs, they need to be kept moist during incubation or they will dry up. Snakes in the wild usually lay their eggs underground, in a pile of manure or inside moist rotting logs.

• oikoσ

Sphagnum moss or absorbent cotton. I suspect that perlite would also work.

• odd

Sphagum moss might work but those little white styrofoam pills are what I've mostly seen.

I use vermiculite but I guess moss would work.  Not paper towels.   There are other things if you google it you will see some more